Chapter Eleven

Back in her room, Crissa found Julie sitting on her bed dejectedly.

"Hey, I thought you'd be asleep by now. Big day tomorrow, you know that."

"He lied to us, Crissa!"

"Who?"

"The professor."

"About what?"

"He told me personally this hotel would have Wi-Fi connection. That we'd be able to connect with the Net out here. For Skype and stuff."

"What, we can't?"

"No! And have you even tried to use your phone? Mobile roaming? There's no damn signal out here! It's totally weak! Useless!"

"So I guess we really are out on the edge of the world, Julie. That's frightening."

"No, Crissa. It's kidnapping!"

"Come on. There's a lot of places in this world where the signal is bad. Or just doesn't exist."

"Yeah, but to lie to us about that."

"I sorta wondered. Why I haven't heard from my mom. By now she would be asking me ten thousand questions."

"Well that's good then. Maybe she'll send out a rescue party for us."

Crissa smiled at her. But there was no reaction.

"And what do you think of our duties tomorrow? I don't even want to get close to those wolves out here . . . if what that village guy said was true."

"I know. It is pretty strange what he said."

"And David and I will be out looking for some wolf cave tomorrow, probably full of the damn things."

"Usually these dens are just for a male, a female . . . and their cubs if they have them."

"Great! One big happy family. And guess who they're having for dinner?"

"Yeah, I know, Julie. It does sound dangerous. David is a strong guy, though. You should be pretty . . ."

"I don't want to be anything  out there tomorrow!"

"Come on Julie. The professor and our guide have guns. They won't let anything happen."

"I just love your optimism, girl. So you'll just be back chilling with Brad . . . in a hut! While Mr. handsome and I will be risking our asses somewhere near the wolf caves."

"I sorta wish we could switch jobs, Julie. To be with David. I guess I'm getting pretty attracted to him . . . as you predicted."

"Oh. . . So that's  why you're just coming to bed, huh?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Well then? So . . . tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"Is he a good kisser?"

Crissa tried to hide her smile. "You should know that. You said you went out with him."

"But never got there. Like I said, I don't think he likes Asians."

"Come on Julie. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy."

"Right. So I asked you, girl. Does he kiss nice?"

"OK. He's . . . not bad. But I'm the last person on the planet to ask about kissing guys."