Chapter Fifty-Four

When Crissa found her way to David's house, she opened the door and went in unannounced. She half-expected to find him still in bed but instead he was dressed and standing over his simple stove. He was cooking what looked like a hearty vegetable soup. He also was drinking a can of beer, which he put down and ran to her for an embrace.

"Oh my God, David. It's so good to see you back . . . standing . . . eating . . ."

"Well, cooking, at least." he said, smiling his boyish smile. His long black hair was slicked back fresh out of the shower.

"So are you . . . ?"

"Hungry?  Totally. I managed to find a few things in the fridge. I'm turning it into a kind of stew."

"Oh, David. I was going to stop by the store and buy you groceries. But first I needed just to see if you  . . ."

"To see if it's really me who came back?"

"I had no doubts it would be you. But just wasn't sure . . . you would be . . ." 

While still in his arms she uncontrollably kissed him on both cheeks.

There was that heady scent he had, fresh now from the bath, and as before, something also male and delicious about him.

"I wanted to know you would be . . . awake, and the same, I guess."

"I'm back now, Crissa. And it was like before . . . amazing!  Much more dangerous this time, but still . . . amazing."

"David. that was you, right? . . . The one that saved the student the night before? The conservation group was so shocked . . . impressed  by that."

"Yeah, it was me . . . But what were you crazy people doing out there?  So near the angry pack that night?"

"I was there to try and check on you. We had heard of a lot of goings on up there, During the full moon. Lots of noise, especially. My parents could hear it from their house."

David led Crissa over to the bed and sat with her.

"You know, I tried to join them, Crissa. I felt I needed to be with them. But they sensed something. Something different about me. Maybe that I'm . . . a different genetic strain. The Eurasian wolf."

"And David, was it you? That went into the town . . . several days ago?"

"I can't really explain that. I felt just so alone, Crissa. I guess in my half-wolf mind I was looking for you. I hadn't quite broke away from my human feelings and thoughts yet. My instincts came much stronger later. Each time it's like that."

"Oh David . . ." She held him again in her arms. "I'm just so glad you're here. Safe. And . . ."

"Human?"

"Yes, David. Human. This should never have happened to you! You never deserved this terrible fate . . ."

"Wait. No, Crissa. Listen to me. As I told you before, I can't be sad or angry. I can't spend my life regretting this. I'll make the best of it. Somehow, I will. I told you before . . . There were things about this change that . . . opened my eyes. My animal eyes. I can't explain it, but when I'm there it all feels . . . so right somehow. Then, the night darkens, and over then next days I come back. Back to a different me. This  me. But the other is me too."

Crissa quietly looked into his face. It was sincere.

"But . . . this  is the you that I love, David. Right here. Right now."