Chapter Nineteen

Returning to the lodge, the group were relieved to be back in the safety of the thick-walled structure, as even in the mid-day, the threat of a wolf-attack now loomed outside. All of the researchers were now convinced they had seen the transformed David and possibly Julie and Lara while encountering the pack of wolves in the wild. Crissa was especially convinced they had made contact. She was just not prepared for how looking into the animal's eyes made her feel, knowing how her affections for the Alaskan university student had grown, and how he had admitted only days before his romantic feelings for her.

Crissa left the group in the dining area to go back up to her room to wait out the afternoon and eventually the evening. She felt she needed to prepare for the long night when it was everyone's fear the wolves would return outside. Meeting Jannick at the foot of the stairs, she asked to speak with him alone and privately.

"Yes, Crissa. I heard. You had troubles with them out there today."

"We found them. And I know one was David," she said, taking in a long breath. "I just wanted to ask you about your sister, Jannick. How it is when Lara returns. Does she. . . well, is she . . ."

"Yes. It is Lara once again. But it takes a full day and night for her. To feel she is back and one of us. She has told me this. She said the feeling of being a varkolak  is powerful. And each month it is something she has accepted."

"But doesn't she hate . . ."

"No. She told me privately she does not hate it. She has learned their ways now. And she loves her mate. It is a boy like me from our village. He is cursed as well. His name is Martin. But his parents to not approve of her seeing him while they are . . . like us."

"That must be difficult for them."

"As I said, she told me how she adores him when they are together. Each month as a varkolak."

"But why would his parents not approve of them together when they are . . . human?"

"Because it was Lara who brought him to it. Cursed him with her bite. They cannot forgive her and will not accept what he has become. Some like my parents . . . Lara's Mother and father, have."

"Yes. I see. But how tragic  that is."

"It would be different if Andreas' father and mother would just let him be with Lara when she is here with us. But they are suborn and afraid. They will not accept a future like this for their son."

"And your  parents, Jannick? How do they  see Lara now? And her love for this boy?"

My parents, Horst and Helga, are practical people. Loving people. We all have accepted Lara's new life. Though we are also sad for her. She is a good girl. It was her bad luck that she was attacked on that day by the river and bitten. My parents feel responsible for it happening, as she was alone."

"Yes, I'm sure."

"But when I talk to her, she tells me of her life with the wolves. They are close like families, she says. And they love their mates and children. As we do."

"Yes, it's true. Wolves have this. Like few other animals."

"But you must expect now that David's and Julie's lives will never be the same, Crissa. They must live in two worlds. Where ever you take them. This curse of the moon and the bite of the Varkolak wolf knows no place where it can be defeated. It is a force in nature older than our people here now."

She looked into the young man's serious eyes.

"And it will remain and continue to spread," he said sadly. "Our village is slowly changing, as you see. My father brought Professor Dekker from America to see what could be done. But as you now know, there is nothing he or you can do to stop this. It is impossible for us to even understand it."