Chapter Sixty-Nine

Crissa went back inside with tears of anger in her eyes. She saw how David had tried to push back against Julie's advances, ultimately leading him to run from her into the wilds. Just what would happen afterwards, during the mysteries of secluded wolf behavior, was weighing heavily upon her.

Once inside the cabin, she secured the door again with the chair. She then went into the bedroom and could see out the back window that the light of the moon, now high overhead, completely illuminated the countryside. Once again, she in felt alone, as the distant wailing of wolves near the mountains had begun again in an agitated way. She also felt now deeply afraid. Afraid not only for her own safety—remembering how the wolves had entered the cabin the month before, but fear also for David, so exposed to them out in the night. It was true that the wolf clan had not accepted him there. For like before, they sensed in him, and now obviously in Julie, a threat to their ancient territory.

Crissa sat on the bed and picked up the cell phone on her night stand. Realizing there were few people in the world whom she could even tell of her predicament, she thought immediately of Brad, Josh and Mary. She dialed the phone amid the approaching wail of the local wolves.

"Brad?  Yes, it's Crissa."

"Are you alright? And David?"

"We're up at my parents' cabin."

"Is he . . ."

"Yeah. He is . . . but already changed, Brad . . . and so has Julie!"

"Wait. It's a day early, right? And you say Julie's there? In the mountains with you?"

"Yes. And only with David right now. Somewhere . . . outside. And that's worrying me, Brad."

"OK, but Why?"

"You don't understand, do you? Julie could mate with him up here . . . and that would . . ."

"Yeah. I get it. I've thought of that."

Crissa was holding back tears.

"So, you still really love the guy, huh?"

"Very much, Brad. I'm so worried and scared right now."

There was incessant high-pitched barking and loud howling outside in the distance.

"What's that I hear, Crissa?"

"It's the local wolves. There are many in British Columbia. But they're never usually this . . . disturbed."

"Do you think it's because . . ."

"Yes, Brad. They can smell him. From miles away, possibly."

"Christ, Crissa! Do you think they could . . ."

"Of course they could kill him, Brad. He . . . and Julie up here. They've invaded their hunting area. Their breeding territory. They are a different species."

"Well . . . what about you, then? Are you secure inside?"

"So far, yeah. But David and I barely got out of here last month. It was just when he came back to being . . ."

"Yeah. I get it. So . . . do you have anything for protection, Crissa? A gun, a knife? "

"David made me buy a hunting knife. It has a case and a belt."