Chapter 18

The man at the desk was extremely lanky and a bit older. Early 60s perhaps? He had a full head of shorter white hair and a matching well trimmed moustache and beard.
"I presume you're Mr Cromwell?"
"You presume correctly, Miss Hemmings."
His voice was soft and gentle, in contrast to the noise and commotion going on in the streets.
I didn't know how anyone could work in Chicago. It was way too noisy. Perhaps not as noisy as London, but at least my office was three floors up and not at street level. Mr Cromwell only had an old, drafty, 3 inch thick oak door to block the noise.
Attempting to ignore the outside world, I did my best trying to match Mr Cromwell's tone.
"Mr Lancaster and I just came from Mississippi. We have been informed of tensions here in the States. The Wynn's asked for 355,000 guns in exchange for access to the River, 10 per cent off the top of Mississippi's textile sales, and a plantation. I agreed to 340,000 guns in return for the River access and 5 per cent off the textile sales, no plantation."

Hey Amy, there wasn't much of an introduction there.

It doesn't matter! I needed to get down to business right away!

"And what do I have to do with this?"

Oh god, he's going to think I'm crazy. He's going to react the same way Mr Lancaster did and mock me for being empathetic-

"We cannot side with the South based on moral grounds, Mr Cromwell."
That was Mr Lancaster.

We cannot side with the South...
We.

Good God! What has gotten into him?
But still, I didn't react. It was no time to start an argument with Mr Lancaster in front of a perspective partner.
"So you'd prefer to help us out as well, Hemmings?"
He directed his warm but stern gaze at me.
"Yes, sir. I would actually prefer helping you."
"I see..."
Mr Cromwell stroked his slight white beard.
"Well, the North doesn't need weapons. We have our factories and all... But if there is a war, the fighting will happen in the South. We won't have access to our railroads. General welfare supplies will be needed. Shoes, medical kits, and so on."
I felt a grin break out on my face.
"Get me two steel mills and you have a deal."
"Two?" He chuckled, "Dear, those things are a dime a dozen around here. Four."
I laughed along with him.
"I won't argue with that!"
We shook hands. The laughter died quickly, to be overtaken by a somber atmosphere, and he gripped my hand.
"Miss Hemmings, really," Mr Cromwell spoke with a genuine voice, "thank you. 340,000 guns are useless if everyone that's supposed to be using them dies from starvation and what not."
"With access to the River, I should be able to send supplies frequently. Perhaps one day I will be able to get the Ohio as well."
Mr Cromwell had a big friendly grandpa smile plastered across his face.
"I would like to help you with that future endeavor."
"Thank you, sir."
"Oh! One last thing, I almost forgot."
Mr Lancaster's face paled when Mr Cromwell pulled out a crinkled up envelope from a pant pocket.
"Some man asked me to give this to you. He seemed like a skittish little fella."
I took the letter from him.
"Thank you. We'll read this in the coach."
"Alright, well safe travels!"
Mr Lancaster grabbed my hand and rushed us out of the office. He didn't grab my hand in a way that was meant to hurt. Rather, while his grip was firm, it seemed more like he didn't want to lose me.
Mr Lancaster helped me into the coach, but he was so hurried that he just about threw me inside.
"Go, go, go! Get us to Mississippi!"
"Mississippi?!"
"I will pay you well, now drive!"
The carriage lurched and I was thrown back into my seat.
"The letter!"
Mr Lancaster reached for it in a frenzy, but I stopped him.
"I will do this because I am a little more level headed."
I wasn't scolding him. I was just making a fair point.
"Because you do not know what we are dealing with..."
"Correct. That makes me more level headed."
I tore open the envelope.
"Ignorance is bliss."
"Which is why my blissful arse gets to open this damned thing."