Chapter 2

Cas looked at me expectantly. I suppose I did like his frankness as well. I doubt that I could treat him like a subservient when he acted like a little brother.
"There's nothing going on with us, Cas. You don't need to worry."
Cas scoffed and rolled his eyes.

I guess I did always want a little brother.

"Miss Hemmings, your pupils were so dilated, your eyes almost looked black. His too."

He's a rather observant fellow.

"Let's drop the subject, yes?" I tried changing the subject.
"I have one more comment on the issue: I don't think he'd be faithful to you. Men like him are never faithful."

Given Mr Lancaster's reputation, he isn't wrong.

"I know. That's why I said there was nothing going on."
"Good."

Cheeky kid!
He's an overprotective little brother. Like a small puppy that wants to rip apart a bear.

"Miss Hemmings?"
"Yes Cas?" I settled down at my desk, straightening out the papers that got shuffled around during the screaming match.
"What did Mr Lancaster mean by you've been through too much?"
I felt a familiar pain grip my chest.
"I'll tell you some other time," I said, while giving him a sad smile.
Cas turned back to his office, and I went back to my work. I hid the letters again, even though Mr Lancaster knew about them. I looked at the newest one. The handwriting was different, but this person still kept the same greetings and closures and had a similar writing style.

Except there was that "comrade" addition. I'm still "dove," unfortunately.

A leaned back in my chair, thinking back on all of the events that happened right after the ball.
Kaiser's body dangling there, limp and lifeless, with blood everywhere. What kind of a bastard would do that to a dog? Even though we only had Kaiser for a week, I loved him. I want another guard dog, but I think I would just be sentencing it to death.
Then the flashbacks. No wonder why my mind had shut them out. I still couldn't remember all of the details, but I didn't really want to. When Mr Cheswick died, I didn't cry, even though my dad did.

"He's with God now, Robert," my mother whispered comfortingly. Mom squeezed my hand. I thought 'I hope he's burning in hell.'
But I couldn't say that to Dad.
"Brian is... Was... such a good man," said my dad, choking on tears. His voice cracked from the emotions drowning him, but I couldn't feel bad.
I shook my head no, but my parents didn't notice.
Brian Cheswick took something from me when I was too young, and I couldn't ever get it back.
The sun was out, and it was an uncomfortably hot August day. It felt like Mother Nature had an agreement with me. When I thought of funerals, it was always dark, cold, gloomy, cloudy, all that depressing stuff. But no, today it was tauntingly hot and bright.
I sent a silent thank you up to the sky. Not to God. I didn't believe in Him anymore, not after what that monster did to me only a month ago. The pain, the blood, the shame...

"Miss Hemmings? It's six o'clock. Isn't your work day over?"
I jumped, startled.
"Oh, I'm sorry Cas, I was thinking."
"I know, that's why I didn't bother you for a while."
This boy knew me. How? Cas had known me for a day!

Gypsie magic, probably.

No! That doesn't exist!

"Well Cas, you may leave now too."
"I have, um, one request. May I ask, Miss Hemmings?" Cas suddenly seemed awkward and uncomfortable.
"Of course. I think you know by now that I'm open for any kind of discussion."
"Yes, of course Miss. I was wondering about my salary..."
"Okay?"
"Could I get paid at the end of each day? I know it isn't normal, but we need to eat..."
"Of course."
Since I kept money on me, I reached into my desk and passed him a Noble [1]. Cas's eyes lit up like stars.
"Miss Hemmings! Thank you so much! I- I am at a loss for words..."
"Go home and get something good to eat."
"Of course!" Cas shook my hand and ran out the door, leaving it wide open. I went to get up and close it, but Mr Lancaster was there, watching Cas test down the hall with a twinkle of amusement in his eyes.
"Did you just give him the keys to the Bank of England? Because I would like a copy of those keys as well..."
"Mr Lancaster! Did you just say a joke?" I asked, astonished. "And no, not the keys to the Bank. A Noble."
Mr Lancaster's eyes widened slightly. It was a lot to give a kid on their first day, but Cas has an entire family to care for...
"I like the boy too. It seems, however, he does not like me."
"He saw us at an unfortunate time."
"He was right though..."
My head cocked to the side in interest and confusion. I moved out of the doorway, letting him in. Mr Lancaster closed the door behind him. I leaned against my desk while Mr Lancaster made himself comfortable on the couch.
He really looked exhausted. I watched as he loosened his tie and unbuttoned the top two buttons of his shirt. He ran his hand through his hair for the second time that day. That was a big deal, since it made him look less pristine than usual. Now he looked rugged and rough around the edges. I couldn't deny that I found it alluring.
"You were saying, sir?" I prompted him.
"Yes. Casimir was right."
Mr Lancaster was stopping his phrases in the worst spots, and I was tasked with pulling more out of him.