Chapter 24

It was certainly a man's chest since there was a distinct lack of breasts, and his entire chest was firm and muscular, like Mr Lancaster's.

Mr Lancaster does look pretty good without a shirt on...

"Oh God, are you all right Miss?!"
This man held my shoulders so I wouldn't fall over. I probably would have, actually.
"Geez, yeah, I'm fine," I laughed slightly while rubbing my nose, which took the brunt of the force.
I looked at him and was met with the deepest, most sincere looking blue eyes I've ever seen (though I couldn't help but compare them to a certain set of grey eyes). He had a wild tangle of light brown hair which was just curly enough to not be tamed.
Wow, if I hadn't been so devoted to Mr Lancaster...
I wasn't complaining (it takes more than looks to win me over anyway), but if I never knew Mr Lancaster, I probably wouldn't mind being married to this man. We would make some nice looking children in the long run.
"Miss? Miss! Can you hear me?"
"What? Oh, yes! I- I am fine!"
This man rubbed my shoulders up and down in a comforting way.
"Thank you, Mr...?"
"Chandler. Garrett Chandler. And you, Miss?"
"Amelia Hemmings."
He took my hand and gave me a brief bow.
"I've heard your name. Everything you have done is quite impressive," he flattered me.
My cheeks went scarlet.
"Thank you, sir. Is there a reason why you're not watching the show?"
"Probably the same reason as you: it was too hot, the perfume too strong, and I was damn thirsty!"
We both laughed, and I thought it was a beautiful sound. Nothing like Mr Lancaster's laugh, but still nice.
Mr Chandler's demeanor changed, and I recognized the look in his eyes. He was going to ask a favor.
"I- I was wondering, Miss Hemmings, i-if you could possibly, um, well, I've been struggling with getting my shipments up the Mississippi..."

Awww, he's shy! That's so cute!

"People know already?"
"Word spreads far and fast. It's a fantastic accomplishment, Miss Hemmings, and you should be proud. May we take this conversation outside? It's a beautiful night." Mr Chandler put one finger under my chin, tilting my head up to face him. My blush radiated throughout my body, spreading to my neck and ears.
And he smiled at me.
My insides melted...
I'm certain Mr Lancaster would have an even more handsome smile, if I had ever truly seen it.
Mr Chandler offered me his arm, and I gladly took it. It's a perfect opportunity for me anyway. Sure, I might be gone for a little longer than anticipated, but Mr Lancaster seemed engaged in the ballet anyway. He wouldn't notice.
Now that October had settled over London, the nights have become chilly. I shivered slightly, and I was surprised that I could see my breath.
"How inconsiderate of me, of could you would be cold. Please, take this."
Mr Chandler took his coat off and tenderly draped it over my shoulders. Breathing in, his coat smelled masculine. I detected some honey and leather. Who knew that would make a wonderful combination? (Though I prefer Mr Lancaster's slight hint of peppermint.) After a moment of silence passed, I commented, "it really is a beautiful night."
I wasn't lying either. The night sky was clear, and I could see every star in the sky. Only a sliver of the moon had shown itself, but it still shown brightly over the dirty London streets.
"Yes. Truly magnificent," he agreed while staring intently at my face. "Actually, there was also another I have found about you to be quiet impressive," he continued.
"Oh?"
"I have heard that you are close to the one and only Mr Damien Lancaster. I'm greatly surprised, truth be told. He has always been so distant and cold to everyone."
"Do you know him?"
Is anybody familiar with Mr Lancaster? I'm certain many people know the name, but I'd doubt 0.5 per cent of people could even pass as an acquaintance.
Garrett Chandler's grip on me tightened infinitesimally. I sort of noticed, but didn't pay much attention.
"Yes. It was long ago, but I guess you could call us friends."
Suddenly, I wasn't sure if I liked this man.
"Long ago? How long ago might that be? Both of you are fairly young men," I added filler, hoping he would continue to think I was oblivious.
"Yes, it has been a while. Christ, I think it was about 20 years ago when his bastard of a father made my mother take her own life."