Chapter 12

Shame.
That was the first thing I felt in the morning.
The previous night was automatically on my mind when I woke up. Mr Lancaster's naked form beside me in the bed served as an ironically pleasant but grim reminder. He was on his stomach, holding a pillow close to his side with one arm while the other one was casually draped across my middle.
The worst part was how much I liked– no, loved it.
How could I do something like that? I knew that I wouldn't get pregnant from that, and what ever was left of my virginity was still in tact, but I wasn't married. What kind of an unmarried woman (other than prostitutes) would pleasure a man with her mouth?
Was I as bad as a prostitute?

No, at least prostitutes get paid!

Oh god, was I worse?
Prostitutes have a reason to do sexual acts with a man they're not married to! I just did it because I wanted to!
I carefully slipped out of the bed. Surprisingly, Mr Lancaster didn't wake up, even though he was probably the lightest sleeper in the world.

You wore him out last night.

I shouldn't feel pleased.
Why did I feel pleased?
I got dressed as quickly and quietly as possible. After almost 10 minutes, I was able to leave the room. I doubled checked on Mr Lancaster, who was still snuggled up with the pillow and sleeping peacefully. The blanket reached only half way up his back, exposing his muscles. I tried not gawking, but he looked so relaxed.

Riiiight. That's why you can't stop looking– he's "relaxed."
It has nothing to do with the fact that he's so incredibly handsome.

I didn't give my brain permission to think that, but it was already thought. I tip toed to the door, slowly opening it. Everything went well with that, the door didn't even squeak. I took light steps over the threshold and closed the door just as silently as I opened it. I held my breath until I was far away enough from the bedroom to not disturb Mr Lancaster. There have been times when my breathing would wake him up.
The dining room was somewhere down the stairs, but I could only guess where that was. My stomach growled, so I thought getting food was worth the chance of getting lost.
Some where else in the mansion, I could hear a grandfather clock chime nine times.
"Ah, there she is. Miss Hemmings!"
I jumped slightly out of surprise, but when I saw it was just Bennett Wynn, I let out a poliet laugh.
"Is your fiance not joining us today?"
He said it with a bit of arrogance, like he was insinuating that Mr Lancaster was lazy or something else that was unbecoming of a soon to be husband.
"He's just tired right now. Damien doesn't usually get a lot of sleep."
It was actually kind of fun calling Mr Lancaster by his first name. Bennett took two steps closer to me.
"I wouldn't get much sleep either, if you were my fiancee."
I felt confused. Was that a good or a bad thing?
"I, um..."
"You kept him busy last night, didn't you?"

Oh yes, I most certainly did-

Two steps closer.
"I don't disturb him, especially if he has work-"
"I'm not stupid, Miss Hemmings. I know what soon to be weds do when they're unchaperoned and alone."
The nerve of this man!
Two steps forward, countered by one step back from me.
"I wouldn't do anything that any other unmarried woman wouldn't do!"

... except maybe pleasure a man who also happens to be a close business partner with my mouth...

...yes, close business partners...

My face was turning red, but I could pass that off as being embarrassed that he would mention that to me.
When Bennett took two more steps towards me, he put his hands on my shoulders, holding me in place. Nonetheless, I still leaned away from him.
"I think you're lying," he said in a low voice.
"Even if I was, I fail to see how it would be your business!"
The grandfather clock rang 9:30.
I pushed at Bennett, but he didn't budge. Since I was just trying to be nice, I wasn't rough with him, but he didn't get my message.
Or, he did and he just ignored it.
I raised my arms up so there were between his and I pushed out, unhanding me from him. It was successful, so I ran. It wasn't fast and it wasn't for a long time, but at least I didn't cause a disturbance. I got away from him quick enough in the end.
But then I ran into a human while turning the corner.
I was hoping it was Mr Lancaster, but that would have made things too easy for me.
"Jennifer!" I gasped. There was a welcome surprise.
"Miss, what are you-"
"Miss Hemmings! I have an important matter to discuss with you!"