{34} - Baby Malek

"Hi, baby".

Rami entered the hospital room; wearing a stylish green suit, looking every inch the confident, or conceited, man he was. He was holding a bouquet of roses in one hand and a diaper bag in the other, approaching Belle and leaning to kiss her. Belle had been admitted to the hospital around thirty minutes ago, accompanied by John and Mary.

"Hello. Oh, Rami, you brought the hospital bag", she exclaimed in relief. "I cannot believe I had not noticed it wasn't here".

"Don't worry, that's why the baby has a father", he responded. "These roses are for you", he said as he put them in a flower vase.

"They are beautiful, you shouldn't have", she thanked him. "Where are you going after this, though? Attending a red carpet event? Your expensive suit makes a huge contrast against my labour gown".

"Nowhere", he replied. "What's a better event than the birth of my child? Also, your labour gown looks more like a shorter version of a fancy Victorian dress, so you also look like you're going to walk down the red carpet".

Belle simpered, looking back at the bouquet of roses he had brought her.

"Wait, I thought you were supposed to bring me the flowers after the baby is born".

"No, because there's a whole different present for that", he smirked as he sat down. "I've been planning your push present for months".

"Push present? Rami, I appreciate it, but a healthy baby is my present", she uttered. "But thank you, really".

"Well, I mean, you're obviously right, a healthy baby is your present, but I don't see why I should refrain to buy you something when I have the possibility to do it".

Suddenly, two midwives appeared, and they had Freddie and Mary trailing behind them. Belle smiled, realising that her lifetime dream had become true: to have both her parents be present for the birth of her firstborn.

"Dad, you're here", Belle said as Freddie frantically walked straight to her. He noticed Belle looked radiant despite the pain she must have been going through, her long and shiny hair adorning the delivery bed.

"Yes, Belle, I'm here. Can you believe it? You're about to officially become a mother", Freddie whispered, caressing her head. "I've always been extremely proud of you, but seeing you as a pregnant woman was the ultimate breathtaking moment for me. Don't be nervous, darling. By this time tomorrow you'll be holding your baby in your arms".

Belle smiled at him, her eyes looking somewhat tired.

"Your words are sweet but you haven't greeted the baby's father", Mary muttered to Freddie, still loud enough for Rami to hear.

"Oh, yes, I'm sorry, Rami", Freddie apologised, walking to him and shaking his hand.

"There's no problem", Rami replied in a curt sentence, not making an effort to hide his annoyance at Freddie, which caused his father-in-law to give him a dirty look. Belle and Mary didn't notice, they were occupied talking to the midwives.

"You've dilated about five centimeters now", one of the charismatic midwives said. "Did the pethidine shot work?".

"Yeah, it did, thank you", Belle kindly responded as she laid her head on a pillow.

"That's alright. We'll be frequenting the room to check in on you. Please call us if you feel any discomfort".

"Thank you", Mary replied for her daughter.

Freddie turned his back to Rami and looked at his daughter again, ready to ask something before she unknowingly interrupted him, abruptly propping herself onto her shoulders.