Chapter 63 ~ I'm Selfish. Sue Me.

~ A m b e r ~

~ A m b e r ~

"I-I'm so s-sorry Jan..." I sobbed into her shoulder as she patted my back.

I felt her shake her head.

"It's okay Amb. I understand. I would've done worse than you did to that Ploppy girl."

I chuckled through my sobs.

"N-Now how ar-re we going to p-pay f-f-" she cut of my sob filled babbles.

"It's okay. My parents are getting back on their feet, and I actually applied for a job." She said while rubbing my back.

I looked up at her "you did?"

She nodded with a slight smile "I didn't want you doing all the work."

I nodded, feeling slightly more secure but not a whole lot.

Then another thought hit my mind.

"What if this was Carter's plan all along?! To make me fall for him only to shove me out of my CEO spot when I was weakest!"

"Well I don't think-" Jan started but I cut her off.

"What if, because I'm not as high profile anymore, Carter dumps me?!"

"Well that sounds unreasonabl-"

"Or what if he-"

"Amber!" Jan said loudly in my ear. I flinched and moved away from her, crossing my arms with a pout.

"You could have just said my name like a normal person."

She rolled her eyes but with a smile. "Yeah. Whatever. Listen. Carter protected you! He denied saying Poppy for you! He likes you Amb! He asked you out and took you out on an amazingly sweet and thoughtful date! Stop overreacting!"

Knock knock knock!

I didn't get to say anything before Jan jumped off the couch and ran to her room.

Confusion.

"I'm not dressed appropriately! Answer the door please Amb!"

Ah okay. No more confusion.

"Alright! God..." I mumbled the last part under my breath.

"Hello?" I said rudely while opening the door, only to come face to face with the talk of the hour.

Well, the talk of the last 10 minutes.

"Carter." I said breathlessly.

He stared at me for a second before walking in and enfolding me in his arms, pulling me into him.

I immediately relaxed into him as he ran his hands soothingly though me hair.

"I'm so sorry." He said then kissed the top of my head.

I pulled back and looked at his confused "Why?"

He seemed minorly surprised "For getting you fired. I really didn't think he would take it that far. It was completely uncalled for."

I was about to speak up but he continued.

"And after you left I went and had a word with him. Telling him I wasn't going to date Poppy and that I am going to continue to date you."

I smiled up at him and he smiled softly before continuing.

"He said if I make this decision it will demonstrate that I will never be ready for the business world. It would show that I would never take this company seriously.

I told him I didn't care about the business I only cared about you."

I stared up at him, amazed that he would argue with his own father with his future on the line on my behalf.

"Then he fired me and said to come back when I am done making reckless decisions like I have my entire life." He rushed this last part at the end.

I gasped, outraged that he gave up a multibillion dollar company for me.

"Why would you get yourself fired?! Carter, you lost your entire future!"

He shook his head and placed his hands on my waist "No I didn't. I still have my entire future right here."

I blushed blood red and he just laughed before gently placing his lips on mine.

A minor action that always manages to rock my world.

Always manages to fuck up my brain.

Replace my blood with red hot sentiments.

Steal my breath.

Havoc my emotions.

Jolt my core awake with the electrical current of lightening.

But I pulled back and put a halt to all these dizzying, weakening, lovely emotions.

"You have to go back and get your job. We can date in secret or something-"

"No. Amber-"

"No seriously Carter. You cant give up your success for some girl!"

"You're not just some girl! Amber! I l-"

We both froze.

Then he sighed and ran a hand down his face. "I really really like you Amber."

Don't ask me why, but my heart just cried out in anger and protest when he used the term 'really really like'.

"You're really not just some girl. I am willing to lose a  compact for you. Money can't buy what I feel when I'm with you."

I smiled softly. Still not 100% settled with the fact that he changed his entire life course for this.

For our relationship.

For me.

But I'll let it go.

It's his decision in the end. Not mine.

Plus, what sane girl would ask an amazingly sweet, incredibly funny, and intelligent guy like Carter to leave them?

I'm selfish.

Sue me.

~•♡•~

Hey guys!

Damn guys my chapters have just been longer lately huh?

Well that's a good thing so, yay!

XD

Anyway, is Carmber your OTP yet? 🤣

As always guys please vote, share, and comment!

Thanks guys!

~Ell