Chapter 29 ~ And He's Back Folks!

~ A m b e r ~

~ A m b e r ~

Day after day went and I have seen nothing of Carter except the occasional meeting we had with our investors and stock market investments.

Each day passed slower than the last.

Maybe because all I ever did not was review the same 400 investors as the previous day.(We dropped one more minor investor.)

Maybe it was because the stock almost never dropped 3% and it took a lot for a stock to rise 3%, therefore, the stock was practically the same every day.

Maybe it was because I rarely went to meetings anymore, the changes in investors and stock were rare after all.

Maybe it was because I had planned everything already for the ball and Mr. Rink said he didn't want me to take on another extra curricular; just in case something happened with the one I was working on it would call for my full attention.

Or maybe.... just maybe....It was because during my entire first week, and almost half of the second week, Carter had been entertaining me with his flirtatious jokes and goofy comments. And now without him it felt... weird...

...

...

What is wrong with me?! It felt weird?? Carter and I have known each other for only a month, and we were barely friends at most and now I feel weird without him?!

I groaned audibly and ran a hand down my face, then glanced at the clock.

1:07 pm

"Crap." I mumbled and yanked out my phone to text Libby about lunch. But before I could open a message the doors swung open and in walked Libby, with our usual meal.

"Oh you're a life saver!" I exclaimed as I practically snatched the meal away from Libby.

Libby just laughed and shook her head.

~~

After lunch I was feeling a lot more motivated.

Ah the wonders food can do!

I smiled in content and started to make my way over to Carter's room. We needed to compare notes for the investors and stock and this would be the first day since the falling out that we talked directly.

I was in my third week here, and I got promoted around half way through my second week...

So we haven't actually properly talked in almost a week and it's just getting weirder by the day.

It's also getting harder by the day to avoid each other. The ball is coming up in two weeks and we need to make sure we are all on the same page. Both Carter and his assistant, as well as me and Libby.

Yes I finished the preparations but Mr. Rink still wanted us to send confirmation emails together to all of the people involved in the ball.

With all this in  mind, I set determination in my step as I made my way over to Carter's office. Just as I was about to knock the door opened and Carter ran right into me.

"Oof!" I cried and stumbled backward. Lucky for me Carter grabbed hold of my waist and steadied me.

Lucky for me?

I shook my head at my own thought, then looked up to thank him but noticed he was already looking at me.

I blushed slightly and used my hair to curtain my face as I studied the floor with great interest.

"Oh... erm... thank you..." I trailed off, not really knowing where to start or stop.

After a few moments of silence, and with no movements, I looked back up at him. 

It was only then I realized how close we were and I felt warmth light up my chest.

...

...

Warmth light up my chest?

What was happening to me?!

"Carter?" I questioned and raised an eyebrow at him, really wanting him to let go of me now.

He blinked a few times, then stepped back and dropped his hands down to his sides. "No problem. Hey what happened to your cheek?" I froze at his question.

Fuck!

I forgot to put on makeup this morning because I was running a little late!

I knew you could still see the mark, after my dad hit me my cheek got a nasty bruise. I thought it was only going to be a red mark that faded off within a day, but I guess I never realized how hard he hit me.

I did have sort of an emotional roller coaster that day.

I knew bruises could take several weeks to heal, and mine was almost done healing so I didn't think anybody would notice it with or without the makeup. I just wore the makeup just in case.

Good thing I did because if it was still noticeable after all this time I can't imagine how it looked a week or so ago.

I curtained my face with my hair.

"Nothing. Get in the office we're getting to work." I said, or more like commanded. Ever since I because the new heir of the company I have been trying to be the boss I know I'm going to have to be one day. I have to be able to command a room.

Carter's eyes widened a little but then his sly smirk slipped on and he chuckled a little "Yes mam! Feisty is just how I like my babes." He stated and then spun on his heel toward his office.

And he's back folks!

And I couldn't help but smile.

~•♡•~

Hey guys!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I enjoyed it but not as much as I have past chapters... Don't worry though, the book gets really good these next two-three coming chapters!

And the romance is chapter after the next chapter guys!!! I fit almost all the events I wanted to happen in this chapter so you could get to the romance of the book sooner! You're welcome.

But I must say I'm sorry for the lack of relationship development for Amber and Carter. They probably still seem like strangers to you... so the next chapter will be a lot of relationship development before the romance kicks in!

What do you think is going to happen the next couple of chapters? Are you excited?!

As always guys please vote, share, and comment because I love, love, LOVE comments!

Thanks guys!

~Ell