Chapter 6 ~ How Dare You!

~ A m b e r ~

~ A m b e r ~

I woke up with crusty eyes and an aching throat. Maybe crying 'till I passed out wasn't such a good idea.

"Breaking news! Je.... from... Ri... ed... us... si.... ew.... ontra.... in.... rnational...!" The TV was on? Dad must be feeling better. I smiled a little, already feeling better myself at the thought of pancakes and coffee with dad. I took a shower and got dressed quickly so I could go see dad.

Running downstairs I practically shouted "Hey dad! What's for breakfa-" I froze. I've been doing a lot of freezing. I feel like I'm in a movie and Amber Lynn is watching it, she has to keep pausing the movie to get more skittles. Maybe that's why I keep freezing...

I chuckled and shook my head at my stupid thought, but my mind went right back to why I froze in the first place. Dad was sitting on the couch, wrapped in a baby blue blanket that looked like it had some recent stains on it. I heard dad grunting and as I got closer I heard the news lady again, "So, Jerry, what does it feel like to be the best business nationally as of right now?"

I couldn't see the TV but I knew that was the female news reporter from "New News for You at Two". I strained to keep listening.

"Well, Nina, it feels amazing. I can't lie. I feel terrible for Derek from Mary Lynn, but all good things must come to an end eventually. I hope he gets back on his feet soon, I miss the competition." I could hear the humor in his voice. 

"Do you think they're ever going to get their company back to where it was?"

I heard Jerry chuckle "Back to where it was? Back at the top? No. I don't think they'll ever be able to climb back up the business chain. But surprises can happen, miracles can too; neither are likely but, hey, maybe he will be back one day." I sighed, knowing he was right. It would take a miracle to save Mary Lynn, our name has been dragged through the mud and is rolling in the dirt. It would take a lot of trust, from others, and work to build us back up. A lot. And even then we probably never will be where we were.

I sighed and walked into the living room where dad was "Hey da-" I froze again. Seriously, enough skittles Amber.

Alcohol. Was dad.... drunk?

"Ammmberrrr.... I-I... Did you seeee the new-w-s? J-Jerry he-he was tal-king right t-to meeeeee!" I groaned, he was indeed drunk. "Dad, drink some water and sober up, just because the company fell doesn't mean you get to wallow in your own stench and get shit-faced drunk." He sneered at me but I didn't flinch, it was difficult not to though. 

Drunk people have always scared me, even if it was me who was drunk. Then I scared myself. Who knows what I'll say or do? I wouldn't know because I would forget everything in the morning. I have only gotten drunk once and now I have a tattoo on my wrist, luckily its just an infinity sign.

Never again will I get drunk.

I shivered and backed out the living room while saying "Dad, sober up and clean yourself." Then I ran upstairs to get changed into some workout clothes. I really needed something to get my mind off of the drama my life is currently swimming in.

~~

I skipped down the stair again, changed into a sports bra, yoga pants, running shoes, and a sweat jacket. I was about to call out to dad that I was leaving but I ran right into him as I was looking down at my jacket zipper.

"Oof!" I groaned and stumbled back. I smelt the alcohol radiating off him in strong waves. I coughed, "Dad take a shower and sober up!" I glared up at him. His eyes looked different, but I dismissed it. It was probably the alcohol. 

Dad growled at me "You!"

I pointed at myself "Me?"

His sneer strengthened and he took a step closer, this time I took a step back. "Dad? You're drunk, please stop whatever you're doing." Obviously that was the wrong thing to say.

"It's like you don't even care!" He practically yelled in my face.

My nose scrunched up from the stench and my eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. "What are you talking about?" Dad kept sneering and glaring darts at me "You don't even seem sad, did you even care about the company? Why aren't you upset? It was your future Amber!" Dad was still yelling.

My blood boiled. How dare he say I wasn't sad, how dare he say I didn't care when I stopped my education and social life to be here by his side. My frown was just as deep as his was.

"Just because I didn't get shit-faced drunk and wallow in my own piss and stench doesn't mean I don't care! I'm handling it much better than you are." I raised my voice but said matter-a-fact-ly.

This only seemed to instigate him more "How. Dare. You." He spat out at me. 

I took a challenging step forward, "No, how dare you." I growled in his face "I warned you! I told you so! I didn't want to say that to you while you were in this condition but fuck that now! Fuck you now! You need to hear this!" I took a small breath before continuing "I told you not to trust Jerry! I told you the company was doing fine! I told you and your dumb ass didn't listen! I warned you countless times and you ignored me like my opinion meant nothing. Now you have the nerve to try and blame me or make me feel bad?! I already feel terrible for you, for mom, for the company, for me and my future! I just don't show it by giving up and getting drunk!" I was out of breath and I hadn't even worked out yet.

A sudden sting to my cheek not only knocked away my breath but knocked all thoughts away from my head except one:

Fuck that hurt! 

My hand flew to my cheek and I cradled my aching face like that would help ease the pain. My eyes shot up to my dad, but when our eyes met I saw no remorse. Just anger, hurt, guilt, and failure. But at that point I didn't give a fuck how guilty or sad he felt, I narrowed my eyes "What the fuck is wrong with you?!" I spat out at my dad. 

He took a dangerous step closer "Amber don't you ever say anything like that to me again. I am your father and I have ran this company for 20 plus years! I know how to handle it-"

"No! You don't! Our company is shit and you're unemployed! You definitively don't know how to handle it dad!" I screamed at him, tired of his shit. But then I lowered my eyes and shook my head "Mother would be so disappointed in you." I barely whispered. "The company was doomed from the start. Want to know why? Because you were the one leading it. You made stupid mistake after stupid mistake, and although the company rose it had a terrible down fall. Good companies with good leaders stay on top. They thrive and progress, not rise, crash, and burn. We all should have seen this coming when you fucked up in 09! This is all. your. fault." I fumed, poking his chest after the last three words.

And before he could get in a word, or a beating, I stormed past him and out the door, no idea where I was going but I had to get away from my drunk, crazy-ass father.

~•♡•~

Hey guys!

So, this was intense. I'm sorry but it had to happen. But it was a long chapter, so yay for that!

XD

But tbh I'm not sorry. Lol! The father was getting worse and worse, and when he was drunk you guys probably saw this coming.

What do you think Amber should/is going to do?

Anyway, thanks for reading! Vote, share, and comment!

Thanks guys!

~Ell