Chapter 3 ~ The Call

~ A m b e r ~

~ A m b e r ~

"Hello?" I said into the line.

There was some heavy breathing and some rustles before I heard an almost unrecognizable "Hey sweetie. We need to talk."

I gasped a little "Dad?! What's wrong?! Are you okay?!"

I heard a tiny laugh over the line but it did nothing to calm me "sweetie I'm fine. The company.... well not so much."

I stayed silent. Drop pin silent. After a few moments of this silence dad spoke up again.

"You were right... never trust the other side." He sounded in pain just saying that.

"Dad what happened?!" I stood up, already preparing to drive down home and help fix any mess he made.

"We're falling hard. Right when I made another deal based on the Rinked to the Brink investment Jerry pulled out. We failed to obtain the next load of investors because of our 'incompetence', and our current investors are dropping off one by one. I don't know how to keep them from leaving. I told them it was just one mistake but some weren't buying it. The rest of the big time investors gave me a week to figure out how to make up for the lost money from Rinked to the Brink. I'm so frazzled and confused and frantic and- and-"

"DAD!" I cut him off, understanding what was going on now. "Calm down. Deep breaths. We'll figure this out. We always have, we always will."

I heard him nod. "You were right. You were right this entire time and I should've listened but I wanted more money and less competition. I thought I saw a way out but I only saw a way into a hole. I'm sorry."

I smiled a little, maybe from now on he'll listen to me more. "Dad, like I said, don't worry. We can fix this. We can and we will. I'll be home soon."

"But Amber your classes-"

"I'll be home soon." I repeated, cutting him off and making my desicion final. I heard him nod

"See you soon sweetie. Love you."

"Love you dad."

Right after I hang up Jan came up to me "What happened?!"

"I was right, Jerry pulled out right when dad relied on his money. The company is falling and I need to get home." Jan nodded, grabbing her keys but still asking questions.

"And school?" She asked walking toward the door.

"I'm dropping all my classes and taking a gap semester." I said firmly.

Jan gasped "But Amber you can't just-"

I sighed and shook my head "Jan I have to, this is my future and so it's my priority. After college I'm taking over this company so I have to help keep it standing. I have to at least try. School is the least of my concerns."

Jan nodded, still obviously thinking "And what about me?" I smiled, I knew she was going to ask that.

"As long as you don't replace me, we'll be good. I'll keep you posted and I'll be back soon. Time will fly, I promise I'll be back before you know it." She nodded "Okay I guess I'm okay with this." I laughed as we stalked out the apartment.

"Thanks for your permission. Didn't know I need it though." She threw her head back and laughed "Whenever you do anything this major know that you'll need to be passing it by me first." I smiled a little more "Alright mom."

She chuckled and climbed into the car.

~~

We pulled into my dad's driveway and I could see him pacing through the living room window. I quickly unbuckled and opened the door but I froze when I felt a hand over mine. My eyes whipped to Jan, a silent plea to let me go. She smiled warmly, "Amb, no matter what happens today, tomorrow, the rest of the week, whatever! Just keep telling yourself everything is going to be okay, because it will. You and your father can get through anything." I nodded and half smiled "Thanks Jan."

She nodded then laughed a little "Now hurry!" I smiled more and nodded, then climbed out and slammed the door before dashing off toward the house.

~•♡•~

Hey guys!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! The build up towards the climax has begun! It only gets more interesting from here! I hope....

XD

Anyway! Question of the chapter:

Do you think Jan is right, will they get through this? Or will the company fall because of Amber's father's mistake?

As always please vote, comment, and share!

Thanks guys!

~Ell