Chapter 28 ~ New and... Improved?

~ A m b e r ~

~ A m b e r ~

Silence. Thick silence.

I don't know which I hate more, silent Carter or flirty Carter.

"You're what?" He asked again for the third time. I sighed again for the third time. "The heir of the company, Carter." I repeated, and he remained silent again.

Finally after a few more beats of stunned silence I could see his face morph into that of anger. "You took my career?!" He practically screamed. Good thing the only person in the room was Riley, who was the Red-Haired-Front-Desk-Boy.

"Carter calm down." I said, placing a hand on his upper arm.

Over the past week, despite his undying flirting, we were working... decently... together.

Don't get me wrong we fought a lot. Like a lot a lot! But he was slowly getting better.

He jerked his arm away from my hand "No! Just no Amber! I had no idea you were like this! I had no idea you would stoop so low! You of all people should know how it feels to have your career snatched away!" Carter exclaimed. I just looked down and bit my lip. "I'm sorry Carter but I wasn't going to reject the offer. I couldn't reject that offer." I said barely above a whisper.

I heard him sigh, and after a few fading foot steps his oak doors slammed closed.

~~

"Seriously I don't know why he was so mad! Did he seriously expect me to deny an offer like that?!" I ranted to Jan and Ash while we all sat in my dorm room.

Jan shook her head "He is just upset that he lost his future company. You did take his career and his amazing future life away form him, Amb. I don't think he overreacted. If he would have slapped you or something, like your father, that would have taken it a bit far. But he was angry just like you were angry when you lost your company."

I sighed frustratedly "But I was angry because of utter stupidity even though I warned my father. He's angry because his father gave me a promotion."

Jan chuckled but shook her head "Or he was angry because of his own utter stupidity. I'm sure his father warned him multiple times to get his life together. Shape up or ship out, as they say. Your experiences are not that different Amb." Jan continued.

I marinated on it, then finally sighed in defeat.

I guess she was  right. I would be angry if somebody took my father's company away form me like that too. It's like his father chose me over his own son.

But then again, he had the chance to fix it, or as Jan said, shape up. But he didn't. How can he blame me for being more qualified for the job?

I groaned at yet again another internal battle.