2. What the Wolves think

Start from the beginning

I could however gather that the words were all surrounded around Daniel. He was smiling but it was strangely sad. That's not how he smiles when he's happy. His forest green eyes were darker than usual. It happens when he shares space with his wolf. What's his wolf doing here? What's so unbearable that he needs the support of his wolf to get by a family dinner?

Luc shook me out of my daze. My face heated up when i realised that I was staring at Daniel and the insufferable man was looking back at me with a raised brow. I quickly gave him a scowl. His brows furrowed in confusion.

I looked back at the three Wood brothers sitting around me; they had the same identical expression, curiosity.

"What" I barked.

"Why doesn't she have a pleasant personality?" Henry scratched his head "I mean she's Ray's daughter. Where did the genes go?"

I rolled my eyes "I get that a lot" I said looking around. The family has gathered for the evening to discuss tomorrow. Its Luc's special day and everyone's praying for happy news if not tomorrow then within the year.

That reminds me of something. A smirk rose to my lips as I looked at Eric with an evil grin "I heard you ended up with a human at med school. How's she?"

"Healthy as a horse" he responded with a poker face.

"Did you tell her about your animal?" I grinned.

Henry chuckled "He's deep into the friend zone right now"

"I'm getting close" Eric muttered irritated "I don't want to scare her away"

"Be careful" I smirked "I heard she's studying to treat mental cases. You might end up being her first patient"

I would have sympathized had it been anyone else but Eric. Humans are trouble when it comes to mating where wolves are concerned. They don't have wolves so they don't actually feel the pull. They do feel attracted to the wolf but it's not the same as the longing that the wolf feels so they are hard to woo. Problem arises when a wolf gives away his identity only to freak the human out of their minds. Not all of them get out of that stage unscratched. Plus there's the issue of longevity. Wolves live much longer than humans so their human mates have to be regularly injected with their mate's healing enzymes. This part of the deal is what the wolves enjoy. They love the idea of marking their mate everyday in order to push the enzymes into their system. Dogs and their obsession with territories, I tell you.

Eric will manage just fine. With that shrewd head on his shoulder, he couldn't go wrong.

________

My mother caught me alone sometime in the afternoon the next day. Needless to say, I'm not very good at hiding. Everyone was buzy preparing for the evening party. She managed to pull me away from the crowd and fixed me down with a hard glare.

"What was it that you were trying to do last evening?" she enquired.

"What do you mean" I pretended to be clueless.

She gave me that look, the one that says I-m-tired-of-your-games "Dan" She whispered harshly "What's your issue with him?"

"Oh I don't know" I pretended to think "How about 'he hogs my dad away from me all the time'? Is that enough of an issue for you"

"He's like a son to Ray" my mother held her temple in frustration "We have had this conversation countless times, Anna. Grow up"

I laughed "I can't grow up mom. Look at me" I pointed at myself "No matter how much I try, I'm still a f*cking 'kid'" I felt tears prick the back of my eyes and blinked to get rid of the damn traitors.