Chapter Four

Becky's POV

“Really?” he asks.

“You’re amazing, bro.” I smile, he laughs.

“Don’t bro me if you don’t know me.”

“Kay then, homie.” I reply, he shuts up.

“So. I basically spilled my life story…what’s yours?” he asks me. I sigh.

“You really want to know?” I ask him.

“It can’t be that bad.” he says. I sigh again.

“Growing up, I didn’t exactly lived a good neighborhood I remember when my mom would wake up early in the morning and tell me to get an empty milk carton and pick up used syringes outside. I would do as routine every morning to make sure none of the other kids in the neighborhood would pick up one of them or step on them. I did the same thing at the parks by our house. By the end of the day my entire carton would be filled up and we’d drop it off the hospital.” I start. He looks at me wide-eyed.

“There were girls who were 12 to like 16 who would go missing every week and every week they’d find the last one in a dumpster or sewer. I was exposed to so much real world things by the time I turned eight. My dad was always working for weeks on end. One day he came home and told us that he found a great job but we have to travel a lot. I literally bounced off the walls when I heard the last part.” I laugh a little. 

“Yeah, I had friends I’d never see again but I had to get out of there. I was 12 years old and I had two friends who where pregnant. Three of my homies the same age as me, ended up in body bags because they were involved in a gang war. I looked around and I didn’t see anyone’s life I wanted. I took the examples around me as warnings and I left. Ever since we left I never looked back. My mom, dad and I hopped all over. And we found ourselves here. I spent more time travel to places then actually staying there. But, I don’t mind. My dad’s job probably saved me from the nothing I’d become in our hometown.” I reveal and I finally look up at Austin. He looks at me with eyes the size of quarters.

(A/N: Some of this stuff in here is actually true…for me. Except my mom worked all week, and my father was a stay at home drunk/alcoholic. Some other stuff happened too but that doesn’t matter. K. Just wanted to say that. Bc I remember all that stuff.) 

“That’s crazy. Looking at you, no one would have ever guess. You know? I mean you act like you were raised properly.” he says, I scoff.

“I was raised properly.” I retort.

“I meant raised in a rich home. That’s what I meant.” he says quickly.

“I was latch key kid, Austin. Do you know what that is?” I ask him. He shakes his head ‘no’.

“It means that once I was finished with school I didn’t come home to warm cookies and milk with a parent greeting me or asking how my day was. I didn’t go against my family in anyway because I was lucky to get a few words in when they got off work. I didn’t have the luxury to blow off my parents because they were never there.” I tell him.

“That’s messed up.” he interjects.

“That’s life Austin. Life deals you the cards and you have to play the hand your dealt with.” I say.

“Are you a fortune cookie?” he smiles. I laugh, “Growing up like that messed you up at least a little bit.” he suggests. I shake my head.

“Why would it?”

“I mean, you never felt sad that your parents weren’t there? You never felt pain having to leaving your friends behind?”

“Some people’s pain are more severe than mine, Austin. And other’s have pains that are completely endurable. Just because I have pains doesn’t mean I have to be one. The way I see it. Pain makes us stronger. It helps us not break at the ends and to accept the new beginnings.”“You’re talking in bumper stickers, Beck. And you are strong. You are like indestructible, like. Literally. No lie, no lie, no liiieeeeiiii.” he sings, I smile.

“My mom told me ‘Being strong doesn’t necessarily mean your indestructible it just means you’ve been through enough hardships to stick it out til' the end.’ and that means a lot to me. I just try to live by it. But after I heard you and Justin talking about… that. I made me feel sick to my stomach. I mean, why did you even do that to Tia?” I ask him, he shakes his head.

“Tia. She was everything to me at one point but, she didn’t know how to play the game so she quit.” he says.

“This is all a game to you isn’t it?” I ask him sternly.

“She didn’t know the rules. Simple as that.”

“You said you guys were in a serious relationship.” I argue.

“Yeah, well, it’s all fun and games until your girlfriend shows up.” He says.

(A/N:You have no idea how right you are Austin, you asshole.) 

“You’re a player.” I state.

“Aren’t we all?”

“Love is not a game.” I say.

“Who said anything about love? We’re just playing.” he smirks.

“No love? No feelings? Just..”

“Just sex and bets, sweetheart.”

“You are all manipulating these people you know that, right?”

“Yeah, I know.”

“So..you’re a jock. Who goes to games and dedicates himself to sports. But at the same time you’re a bad boy who plays girls out of their virginity. But at those same times you’re also a sweet boy who loves to sing. How the hell are you one person?” I ask him.

“I’m just many things, I guess. But, I’m not all bad. Like you said I’m jock and a singer, and a player.”

“You already said that.” I correct him.

“Said what?” He asks smiling a little bit.

“You already said you were a jock and then you said you were a player.” I explain.

“It’s pretty self explanatory.” He smirks.

“Do you feel good after you win. Whatever you win once you’ve played girls?”

“I love the feeling of being wanted by someone and then to pull the rug from beneath them and say a big ‘Fuck You’ to how they felt about you.” he says.

“But why?” I ask in all seriousness.

“Because it’s entertaining.” he says.

“It’s entertaining to manipulate people? To fake your feelings for them? To make them fall in love with you and just throw them out like yesterday’s homework assignments?” I ask.

“Yeah, I got nothing better to do.” He shrugs.

“You’ll never have the satisfaction of doing that to me. I just wanted you to know that.” I tell him.

“Just wait, sweetie. You’ll come around.” He says to me. I stick my tongue out and he chuckles.

“You should put that tongue to good use.” He winks at me I slip my tongue back into my mouth.

“We’re just friends Austin. Besides, you already have a girlfriend, remember…’Austy’” I smile. Up until now I hadn’t noticed how close we were together. In an instant Austin’s lips were on mine. His kisses were chaste and sweet at first until we were on his bed and he deepened the kiss. His hands started to roam my body until he unbuttoned the top button on my jeans and I push him off of me.