Chapter Twenty Six

Jordan recognized it immediately. He just stared at the photo. "It has to be Richard. Only he knows how much that meant to mom and to me"

"They dusted it for prints since it obviously wasn't burned. Has he ever been arrested or printed ?"

"Not that I'm aware of but I can check the database anyways to see."

"Henry already did " Mattie whispered

"Did anything come up?"

Mattie pulled out the paper in her folder and silently handed it to Jordan"I didn't look at it yet but Henry said it's not good "

Jordan looked over the paper. "Prints belonging to Aiden M Knight and an unknown assailant were found on the item and in various other places in the alley and at the garden fire crime scene." He read aloud. "That mother fucker was in on it? How could he after all I've done for him?" He asked as if he were talking to himself.

"Oh god Jordan ..." Mattie gasped as she instinctively placed a  hand on his arm "How could he -?"

Call down to the lab and have Henry gather all the evidence from the house fire and other fires and send them for prints. Let's see just how involved Aiden is in this. I'm going to see if I can track Richard down." Jordan said as he began furiously typing on his laptop.

Mattie called Henry as well as Lacey requesting whatever they had on every fire that occurred starting with Nate's house leading to the alley and garden fire .

"Jordan look at this " Mattie said pointing to the chemical make up listed in the garden and factory fires "More than fertilizer was used .Somebody mixed fertilizer with magnesium and ammonium nitrate which no one would have caught onto the an because it's commonly used in fertilizer and is usually non flammable but someone added more to the mix as well as the magnesium"

"That's why it burned so hot and fast. That also explains my breathing issues in the alley."

"Well don't forget the natural effect of poison ivy especially when burning "Mattie reminded him softly "The other chemical components just exacerbated the situation "

"That's true. I hope Henry put a rush on those prints. Aiden is supposed to come by this afternoon so I want as much evidence on him as I can get."

"Lacey sent me everything she and Henry had a few minutes ago. Henry is out at the garden checking the house that's left over there. All the rest burned "

"All of that history just gone because two dumbass people are jealous for no damn reason. Look through the files and see if Aiden's or any other prints were found if you don't mind"

"Henry was a step ahead of you. An arrest warrant has been issued for Aiden. Jordan his prints were at Nate's as well as the factory. He  was at every scene .Makes sense how he always got there before you did "

"Hopefully the police will be here before he gets here and let's hope he doesn't cause a scene"

"Where is he and has anyone checked his apartment? With it being part of this building doesn't that allow you to go in at anytime ?

"I don't want him to know he's caught. I checked the tapes and he got in around midnight and hasn't left yet. I have it set to alert me if he leaves. I can revoke his key card so he can't leave the building if I have to."

Mattie nodded as her nerves worked overtime. Somewhere during the time she started at KF he'd gone from friend to someone who terrified her. She'd gotten an email from an unknown sender that morning but hadn't told Jordan. Something told her it was Aiden.

Debating on opening the email , telling Jordan or just deleting it altogether Mattie's thoughts were interrupted when her phone buzzed with a new message.

I can get to you anyway I want blocking me will not stop me

He will break you don't trust him

He's a liar

Mattie's hands shook as she read the message

Mattie tried desperately to get her thoughts together when Jordan's phone rang causing her to jump nervously

The ringing of his phone startled Jordan. He noticed it startled Mattie as well. Looking at his phone he recognized the number as that of the police chief. "Hello chief what can I do for you? Yes sir I'll have Henry let you in. I'm up in my apartment office working, come on up" He replied  as he hung up the phone. "You ok Mattie?" He asked as he sat his phone on the desk

Handing Jordan her phone Mattie whispered nervously  "There was a weird email too but I haven't opened it yet"

Jordan took the phone and read the email. He sent it to the file he has on Aiden and then deleted it from her phone. "Here sweetheart. The chief of police and a few officers are on the way to arrest Aiden and search his apartment and the empty rooms for evidence. Everything will be over soon"

"W-was it that bad ?" Mattie whispered nervously as she watched Jordan's jaw twitch and his eyes narrow in what she assumed was irritation.

"Don't worry about it. It's just more evidence against him in the sexual harassment case"

Mattie silently nodded as an incessant beeping started sounding off,unsure where it was coming from Mattie busied herself with the reports in front of her occasionally darting nervous looks toward Jordan