Chapter Three

"So he strikes again huh. Let's hope he leaves something behind this time so we can nail his ass to the wall." Jordan chuckled as he finished calibrating his microscope and placed a slide under it.

As he was reviewing the sheet Aiden turned to his boss

"Jordan what was your address before college ? There's something about this address that seems familiar . "

"Umm. 10 Mellville Ave. Why?" He asked, not looking up from his slide.

"Jordan you may want to call Nate "

"Why do I need to call Nate? Aiden I have a double homicide I'm working on here and the fingerprints are finicky. Please get to the point you're trying to make" Jordan sighed as he looked through photographs of the crime scene of the Murray case.

"Because it was your fucking house I can take over whatever you're doing with the Murray case .Go call Nate "Aiden snapped thrusting the papers in Jordan's hands

Jordan took the papers and read over the case file. "Fuck! Take over I've got to go and don't coddle the new intern. Put her to work on the Murray case looking over the prints." Jordan said as he ran out of the lab to his office to make a few calls before he left. His cousin Nate and his family had been renting out his childhood home since he inherited it. It was too big for him to live in alone so he rented it out for cheap to Nate.

Mattie walked back into the lab at the same time   Jordan  ran through the doors like a man on fire

"Is everything okay Aiden ? He looked really pissed. Did I miss something or screw up again?"

"No. Just a family emergency he needs to take care of. He wants you working on the Murray case. Go through all of the photographs and look for fingerprints and then try to match those prints with one's in the system. Jordan was working on a set when he got the message about his family so start there" Aiden instructed Mattie in a calm and reassuring tone.

Mattie nodded as she sat down at the microscope Jordan was working at feeling nowhere near as nervous as she had with him scrutinizing her every move, The look on his face troubled her as she began to look at the slides. Sighing Mattie set to work telling herself that whatever happened was none of her business.

Jordan rushed to his cousin's house, not paying attention to the fact that he didn't have his lights or siren on. Once at the scene it took him a minute to find who was in charge. "Chief what happened here? Were there any injuries and where are they if there were?" Jordan demanded immediately.

"And you are?" Chief Johnson demanded eyeing Jordan suspiciously

Jordan showed him his police badge. "I'm forensic detective Knight and this is my house. My cousin and his family live here."

"Apologies Detective, I'm Battalion Chief Sean Johnson .Your cousin Nathan was home ,his wife was not. He was taken to Carney and his daughter Jasmyn to Shriner's.. Emerson was with Mary at a checkup. Good thing too the nursery is destroyed "

"How bad are the injuries?" Jordan asked as he gazed  at the house that was swarming with firefighters.

"Jasmyn suffered more smoke inhalation her father has some pretty bad burns from escaping with her. Several second degree burns but I was only briefed and haven't gotten updates recently" Sean explained sympathetically

"Make sure your guys rope off the area so no evidence is destroyed. I'm going to call in a few of my investigators to come collect the evidence and then go check on my family. Keep this scene secure chief." He barked orders as he walked off to text Aiden to send a crew out.

"Detective go see Captain Murray first his crew found something that may be of interest to you " Sean called after Jordan before he was too far away.

Jordan waved his hand as he headed toward the house to look around. "Murray what have you found?" Jordan asked as he made his way through the front of the house.

"Detective Knight good to see you again sir. My men found this hole back by the swing set in the yard. There's some blood spatter and a boot print "

Jordan walked carefully through the backyard making a mental note of everything that was disturbed. "Hello Murray. Has anyone touched anything back here?" He asked as he took notes on his phone as well as photos.

"No sir we know better. Simpson has the photos of the boot print and what we believe is the point of ignition for the fire. Sonofabitch started it right outside the windows of the kid's rooms." Murray explained pointing to what was left of a bedroom curtain. "The window was cracked open slightly and with the breeze we had earlier I'm thinking the wind sucked it through which is how he lit it." Murray pointed to various elements left on the ground , an empty matchbook  and a center punch used for popping windows.

"This " Murray grunted as he leaned over to pick up the center punch with a gloved hand, makes no fucking sense. Your cousin isn't a fire fighter is he ?"