Chapter Twenty Three

"W-why would he say those things ? You're not only his boss but you're also his uncle it's not right .They seemed so hateful "Mattie stammered

"He's angry because he's not in charge at Knight Forensics. He believed that my dad would pass the company to him and not me and he's been like this since. I'm sorry he got you involved in this petty mess." He told her and then kissed her on the forehead.

"Why would he say you'd hurt me? That I belonged with him, not you? I work for you.All that he said just doesn't make sense to me . "

"He's jealous that we're spending time together. Don't worry I'll take care of him tomorrow afternoon. We can work on those reports tomorrow too if you want to"

Mattie silently nodded unsure what Aiden's problem was he had been so nice and friendly when she started . Maybe this was her own fault . Maybe he envisioned something that she didn't from the beginning

Don't worry about Aiden. He's had issues with a few of my other interns and that's why they ended up quitting before their internship was over." He told her honestly.

"He said it was you"

"Maybe one or two of them were but most quit because he was pushy and inappropriate even after being reprimanded"

Mattie chuckled softly"That lying son of a –"

"He'll be taken care of"

Mattie nodded

"You need to go rest . I might as well stay out here on the couch. The sun's coming up and out here if I can't sleep I can get somethings done.You're not supposed to be working anyway "

"Well since the sun will be up soon why don't we go in the bedroom and go over the reports on my bed where it's more comfortable and I can rest while we get a few things done?"

Mattie shifted nervously on her feet "You want me to make some coffee?"

"If you want to"

"If the coffee shop was open I'd have already been down there I know you like the latte's better" Mattie replied without thinking.

"They don't open for another couple of hours."

"I know which is why I said if but when they do I'll run down and get you some "

"You don't have to do that. You aren't my assistant or intern here."

"I don't mind " Mattie whispered finally looking up from the floor "Let me go start that coffee "

"You don't have to do that unless you want some coffee as well

We're friends spending time together and getting to know each other. It's not boss/intern right now."

Mattie nodded as she walked to the kitchen. As she filled the pot ,measured the right amount of coffee and turned it on her mind wandered

Friends .... Great I'm falling for him and he just friend zoned me ...Way to go Mattie

Pouring two cups Mattie carried them to where Jordan sat at the island handing him a cup

I pulled up some of the files in my laptop and synced it to your tablet so we can work on the same thing. Whenever you're ready we can head back to the bedroom and get to work" he said as he looked at her to gage her response.

Mattie took a sip of her coffee and nodded "I have notes and reports that were sent to me from the fire lieutenant that you need to see "

"Alright we'll let's have a look at those files" he said as he stood up and motioned for her to follow him.

Mattie picked up her tablet from the counter and silently followed Jordan

Once they settled in his bedroom Mattie opened the files on her tablet ,opened the notes section on her phone and handed the tablet to Jordan

Jordan looked through the notes on the tablet and sent them over to his laptop so he could add them to the case file for the detectives. "So what got you into forensics?" He asked as he typed in some of his own notes about what happened in the alley.

"It's exciting and I couldn't see myself castrating pigs my entire life."Mattie replied waiting to see his reaction

"Castrating pigs sounds like it might be exciting. Kind of gross but that's farm life" he chuckled.

"So is this what you wanted to get into or is it something you just automatically followed in your family's footsteps ?"

"I always had an interest in forensics just watching my dad work. It fascinated me watching him solve a case with the tiniest piece of evidence. It just felt like I was supposed to do it"

"Didn't you ever want to do anything else ? Does your Mom possess the same love for forensics as you and your dad do ?"

"No mom was more into nursing and that kind of thing. She loved helping people. She was killed in a house fire when I was younger" he said not looking up from his laptop.

Mattie blanched feeling awkward before whispering "I-I'm so sorry.No one ever told me I would've never asked if I had known I'm sorry Jordan "

"It's ok hun. I don't really talk about it much." He shrugged

Without thinking Mattie gently placed her hand on Jordan's arm "I don't have a clue of what it's like to lose a parent but I can listen if you need me to ." She offered quietly

"My brother Richard liked to play with matches when he was younger and one day a fire got away from him..." He trailed off.

Mattie squeezed his arm gently. Is that why you've been looking more into him ?"

"Some of the notes have something in them that point to Richard like the crown. Only he, myself and a couple other people knew about the time capsule in the backyard."

Mattie nodded listening intently "Is that why you were upset that first day we were at the Melville Ave house ? You seemed to be gravitated to that window downstairs "

"She died in that room. That was her room"Jordan  spoke in almost a whisper

Mattie acted on instinct without thinking she shifted her tablet off of her lap and wrapped her arms around Jordan pulling him closer to her .

Jordan sank into her arms as his emotions took over. He sobbed like he hadn't in years.

Mattie instinctively pulled Jordan closer ,raising her hand she began stroking his hair hoping it soothed him..

Jordan finally started to calm down. "I'm so sorry for that. I haven't done that in a long time."

Mattie kept the gentle motion of her fingers in Jordan's hair "It's okay . Does that mean you never really grieved or let emotions out after she died ?" she asked softly

"I poured myself into school and then work."

"So you didn't allow yourself to grieve .Were the two of you not close ?"

"I was a momma's boy"

Mattie nodded suddenly realizing Jordan hadn't moved from her embrace "My dad is too always has been ."

Jordan broke from the embrace. "My mother was an amazing woman and I hope she would be proud of my work"

"I would think so most mother's are very proud of their children "

"I really hope so" he sighed