Chapter Ten

Jordan woke suddenly as Mattie was putting the macaroni and cheese in the oven.

"How long was I out ?" His voice was raspy from sleep.

"I've been here for about forty-five minutes and you were asleep when I got here. Aiden said if you needed anything to call him and he would check back later " Mattie explained nervously

"You didn't have to go to all this trouble Miss Laren"

"You need to eat Mr Knight "

"It smells really good. Thank you..." Jordan replied trailing off.

Mattie wondered if pain caused him to cut his sentence short but left it alone.

"Do you need anything? Something to drink?"

Jordan pushed off the recliner with his good hand, unsteadily getting to his feet.

"Miss Laren you don't have to wait on me .I still have one good hand "

Making his way to the bathroom Jordan's normally sure strides were hindered by the effects of the medication. Stopping to steady himself on the kitchen island Jordan grimaced when he reached for the stool with his left hand

"Fuck this is gonna be a real pain in the ass."

"Mr Knight whatever you need let me get it."

"Unless you can find a way to magically drain my bladder there isn't much you can do."

Mattie stopped cutting the tomatoes for their salad at Jordan's words watching as he navigated his way into the bathroom, wearing the same pajama pants he'd had on when he napped in her apartment.

Fuck it was going to be a long night 

After hearing banging around in the bathroom Mattie watched Jordan round the corner to the massive kitchen seating himself on one of the stools at the island.

Handing him a bottle of water Mattie finished mixing the dressing for their salad .

Jordan studied her as she moved around his kitchen putting bread into the oven and checking the macaroni and cheese pulling it out long enough to sprinkle more cheese on top and placing it back in the oven.

Mattie's hair was down around her shoulders and her glasses seemed to frustrate her as she pushed them up on her nose.

"Mattie "Jordan whispered hoarsely

Mattie stilled immediately.

Had her boss just called her by her first name?

"Everything okay Mr Knight ?"

"I -I " he stammered

Fuck what was he doing he wasn't some clueless teenager why was he suddenly nervous around this woman?

"Nothing "Jordan mumbled sliding off of the stool, padding slowly back to his recliner

Fifteen minutes later Mattie pulled the macaroni out of the oven setting it on a trivet before turning back to the oven to pull out the loaf of French bread she'd warmed up to have with it. Slicing it Mattie slathered butter on each warm piece ..

Mattie found a tray under the island that she used to arrange a salad, a few pieces of the bread and a bowl full of the macaroni and cheese. From memory she pulled silverware and napkins out she laid them on the tray next to the bowls and walked toward the living room where Jordan had since turned on the tv watching the local news.

Jordan looked up in surprise

"Not joining me again Miss Leman?"

Mattie nervously shook her head