Chapter Twelve

Jordan slammed his phone on the desk in frustration

"What's wrong Mr Knight ?" Mattie asked timidly

Jordan showed her Aiden's text

"I sent a whole team down to the scene to gather evidence .It may be a long night Miss Laren we have a lot of work to do and it's not even noon yet"

Mattie opened her mouth to say something but abruptly shut it.Worrying whether Jordan could handle the load

By six that evening they'd sifted through the evidence of the Melville Ave fire and began working on what was sent for the factory fire.

Jordan's stomach protested loudly

Fuck he'd skipped breakfast and lunch.

"Miss Laren call down to the cafe downstairs order whatever you want and order me a couple of burgers with fries "

Mattie nodded and placed their order.

Catching Jordan watching her intently out of the corner of her eye Mattie moved her head in several motions hoping the kinks woulddisappear.

"Miss Laren go home and put on more comfortable clothes .There is no reason to dress for the office while we're working here."

Mattie's eyes widened in shock

"Thank you Mr Knight "

Mattie raced out of Jordan;s penthouse before he could respond

Goddamnit why does she keep fucking doing that ? Jordan muttered to the empty room

Mattie returned as their dinner was delivered

Setting it up on the island she found Jordan sitting at his desk still examining photos

"Mr Knight they brought the food up"

Jordan looked up at the sound of Mattie's voice he hadn't even heard her come back in.

"Fucking Rich" Jordan mumbled

"Who's Rich Mr Knight ?"

"My piece of shit useless backstabbing older brother"

Mattie's mind wandered back to her conversation with Aiden.

Was Rich the brother Jordan caught his ex with ?

"Miss Laren just bring it in here " Jordan snapped not looking up from his computer screen.

Mattie walked back out into the hallway stopping at the bathroom before grabbing their food

Quickly searching Nancy Knight Mattie gasped when she found the stories as well as her obituary. It appeared that Jordan's older brother set fire to their home which killed Nancy but it had been ruled accidental

Holy shit no wonder Jordan suspected his brother

Turning the water on pretending to wash her hands Mattie quickly left the bathroom ,grabbed their food from the island , a couple of juices from the fridge and walked back into Jordan's home office.

Jordan looked up from the screen ,stood and stretched before clearing a space for them to eat.

"The information and photos from Aiden and Henry just came in."

Mattie moved closer to look at them it was then Jordan noticed what she was wearing..

Tight sox tshirt and those half pant leg things women wore. Capris ? Her hair wasn't in a bun this time Jordan could see a ponytail peeking out from under the ball cap she wore.

For fucks sake someone was really testing his patience today

Jordan cracked his back before leaning over to show her specific parts of Aiden's report.

Fuck me Jordan muttered to himself as the smell of peaches laced with vanilla filled his senses.

Yep some mother fucker really hated him or it had been too fucking long since he'd gotten any.

Clearing his throat Jordan motioned for Mattie to sit "Let's eat I know I think better on a full stomach "

Mattie sat where she had at the small desk the difference this time was Jordan had wheeled his chair over beside her so they could eat.

Jordan swallowed a bite of his burger ,taking a drink before he spoke

"So tell me Miss Laren what brought you to the city on a hill ?"

Mattie picked up a fried mushroom and dipped it into her cheese sauce staring at Jordan confusion on her face.

"Boston " Jordan clarified dipping a french fry into the melted cheese

"Knight Forensics " She replied spearing another mushroom with her fork

"No family out here ?"

"Nope just a small town girl wanting to break free from said small town"

"You're family is back there ?"

"Yep every over bearing pushy member

Jordan listened intently as Mattie described how her family, one of her great grandfather's , although she wasn't sure which one had struck it rich during the gold rush and the family moved to Montana to run a cattle ranch. Her town was a typical American small town seemingly lost in time where everyone looked out for the other, took care of each other and how stifling it had become to her. She confessed that her family's ranching business was a very lucrative one but she didn't want to follow in the footsteps of the women that came before her being a rancher's wife.

"So no dreams of a family some day?"

"Not at the moment. I want to see and do more before I settle down. My mother wanted to become a journalist and see the world. My grandfather had other ideas. Said no daughter of his was gonna move to the big city writin trash. "Mattie explained, her voice bitter.

"Doesn't he realize it's not the nineteen hundreds anymore and women have ideas and dreams of their own?"

Mattie scoffed "This is the same man who insisted I be named after one of my great grandmothers."

"Point made"Jordan chuckled

The sound of his laugh caught Mattie off guard

As if remembering he wasn't supposed to be candid Jordan's facial expression changed as did the topic of discussion

"If you're tired we can call it for the night after dinner .I hadn't realized we worked through all three meals today Miss Laren"

Taken aback by Jordan's sudden mood shift Mattie pushed the rest of her meal aside her appetite gone

"What time tomorrow Mr Knight ? I promise I won't be a minute earlier or late for that matter "

Jordan finished off his burger , taking  another drink before replying

"Nine "

Mattie again was out of the chair and Jordan's home before he even got up from his seat.