Chapter One

Mattie looked around at the tall buildings in downtown Boston as her plane came in for a landing. Logan airport was over run with travelers as well as their loved ones. Mattie hauled her carryon over her shoulder as she wheeled the luggage behind her.. Her phone on he ear with her free hand Mattie never noticed the man standing with a white paper emblazoned with Leman .

Shocked Mattie walked toward the man

"You Matilda Leman ?"

Mattie nodded as he waved his hand for her to follow

As they walked he filled her in "I'm Aiden ,Mr Knight's assistant the company has the truck for you belongings once they get here and I have the keys to your new apartment."

"New apartment ?" Mattie stammered

"Yes ma'am Mr Knight wanted to ensure you had a place to stay once you got here. It comes furnished because I understand you are just starting out ?"

Again Mattie nodded

"Mr Knight took care of everything so that you could begin right away ,after unpacking of course " Aiden assured Mattie as he ushered her to the black  Lincoln navigator.

Opening the passenger door for her Aiden waited for Mattie to settle in the seat before closing her inside. He placed her bags in the back and got into the driver's seat. The drive was awkwardly quiet except for the radio playing softly in the back ground. Mattie eyed the tall skyscrapers that made up the city skyline. Intimidating and overwhelming were the only words she could find to describe what she was feeling.

Pulling up to  an older brick building Aiden led Mattie to the elevator showing her where the steps were as he explained that her studio apartment was on the floor below the penthouse. The building was huge. Mattie looked around nervously.

"The labs are attached and there is an adjoining entrance to make it easier for employees to get to and from the lab when needed." Aiden explained as the elevator door opened and they stepped in.The elevator stopped several times before reaching the seventeenth floor.

"This is one of the larger apartments they decrease in the number of apartments on each floor as the apartments increase in size."

Mattie nodded as Aiden handed her the key to the apartment. Mattie opened the door to a one  apartment that had a small kitchen but the appliances were modern , it had hardwood floors throughout. The bathroom had a pedestal sink and a standard tub .The walls were painted in neutral tones .The bedroom was almost the size of the living room. It was done in colors that mirrored those of the living room with blue accents throughout,

Mattie felt an overwhelming sense of nervousness creep in as she peered around.

"There is a fitness center, indoor pool and a bar downstairs for tenants and employees only.Mr Knight has it set up so that your employee credit card  can be used for use. Just swipe and go. Everything is synced through employee email and payroll accounts." Aiden explained as Mattie released a sharp breath.

Leaving her carry on and luggage in the bedroom for later Mattie walked back into the living room looking out the set of French doors leading to a  small balcony.

"Would you like to see the lab Miss Leman?"

"Absolutely"

They locked up the apartment, walked the short distance to the elevator. When the doors opened they stepped in and Aiden hit the button to the corresponding floor button. Aiden swiped his key card, stepping aside to let Mattie enter first.

The entire front room of the lab was set up as the office. A  large mahogany desk sat in the middle of the room around it several chairs and two other smaller desks identical to the larger one sat in opposite corners of the room.