Chapter Twenty One

Jordan ignored Aiden's comment.

I'll fire his ass tomorrow

"Mattie sweetie  are you ok?" He asked through the bathroom door.

"I-I'm fine .I think I need to go downstairs to my apartment and get that laundry and reports done " Mattie stammered nervously

"Don't pay any attention to Aiden. I'm going to have a hell of a talk with him tomorrow about his behavior. Come on out and let's eat" he said trying to get her to come out of the bathroom.

Mattie nervously emerged from the bathroom

"I-I need to get the reports done.Besides I'm not hungry.I made extra because I know you enjoyed it last time.I'll grab one of my frozen dinners later once everything is done."Mattie whispered walking toward the front door

"Mattie what's going on? We were laughing and joking around and suddenly you're terrified. Has Aiden done anything to you that's inappropriate?" Jordan asked trying to figure out what was going on.

"Nothing" Mattie whispered not meeting Jordan's gaze.She wasn't as terrified of Aiden as she was to lose this job and have to go back home to be belittled for not making it .

"Mattie tell me. Please" Jordan asked again

Mattie shook her head, grabbed her bag and opened the front door "I put a plate on the bar for you.Y-you better eat before it gets cold .Those wings wore off a long time ago."

Jordan followed her and placed his hand on the door holding it so she couldn't open it

"Mattie please don't leave. Talk to me please. You're not going to lose your job if Aiden has done something." He pleaded.

"Yes " Mattie whispered trying to not burst into tears.

From the moment she started at KF Aiden had sent emails and texts explaining how beautiful she was and what he'd like to do to her ..in explicit detail. Just the thought of what was in the messages caused Mattie to shiver

"Sweetheart  what did he do?" Jordan asked softly trying not to push her too hard.

Mattie pulled her phone from her back pocket and opened the texts from Aiden ,shaking she silently handed Jordan her phone

Jordan took the phone and read through the messages. The more he read the madder he got at his nephew. He also began feeling like he needed to protect Mattie and make her feel safe.

"Oh Mattie. Why didn't you tell me sooner? His behavior will not be tolerated. I want you to feel safe at work and here with me. I'll take care of this. I promise." He told her as he pulled her close to him and wrapped his arms around her. He kissed her forehead to reassure her.

Mattie instinctively leaned closer enjoying Jordan's warmth as he body continued to shake.

"H-he sent emails too. Somehow he found out my personal email account. The messages were a lot more um uh graphic .H-he s-sent p-pictures "Mattie stammered sniffing

Send them to my email and then delete them. Don't worry baby I'll make sure he leaves you alone from now on." Jordan whispered as he held her tight hoping it would stop her shaking.

"Y-you d-don't h-ave to hold me you know I didn't think that was part of a boss's job" Mattie stammered sniffing  again

"I'm not your boss right now. I'm someone who wants to make sure you're safe and happy. If that means I have to stand here and hold you then that's what I'll do. Don't you remember what I told you at the hospital?"

Mattie looked at Jordan  confusion evident  in her eyes .Shaking her head she began to pull back

"""Come sit on the couch with me and let's watch a movie. That sound good to you?" He asked hoping she would agree.

"Y-you need to eat and I still have laundry to do and the reports "Mattie murmured

"That stuff can wait Mattie. You need to eat too so why not join me and watch a movie while we eat?" He asked trying to give her puppy dog eyes and hoping he didn't look goofy.

A smile broke out across Mattie's lips "Seriously are you like five ?"

"Is it working?" He grinned making sure his dimples showed.

Mattie on instinct buried her head into Jordan's chest "Maybe " she murmured hoping it was muffled enough he hadn't heard her .

What are you doing ? He's your fucking boss You can't fall for him.Not like he'd return your feelings anyway

Jordan  kissed the top of Mattie's head. "Let's eat. I'm starving" he chuckled as he took her hand and led her to the couch.

"Go sit I'll grab the bowls"Mattie told him wishing she didn't have to move out of his arms.Pulling free Mattie walked to the island "Jordan why are you being so nice ? I mean you don't treat other interns or employees like this "

"Honestly because I really like you Mattie. You're different than any other intern I've ever had. I've never had anyone help me like you have. It might actually be more than like I feel" he told her hoping she didn't hear the last part.

Mattie finished filling the bowls , grabbed forks and stopped at the fridge "Water or juice ?"

"Juice please"

Mattie balanced everything walking into the living room, handing Jordan his bowl and glass of juice before sitting down in one of the other chairs.

"Why are you sitting all the way over there?" He asked playfully motioning for her to come sit next to him on the couch.

"I figured you'd be more comfortable if you were able to stretch out on the couch "

"I'd be more comfortable if you were sitting here next to me"

Mattie silently stood "A-are you sure ?"

"Yes I'm sure"

Mattie sat down on the middle of the couch so it still left room for Jordan to stretch out more if he chose and picked up her juice taking a long drink.

"What do you want to watch?

"There's this really awesome world war 2 documentary that I've been following if you're interested . You're brother Jon stopped by the hospital while we were waiting for them to get you situated and we got to talking about it.He said you're into anything historical and especially world war 2 related "

"That sounds awesome." Jordan  told her  as he handed  her the remote.

"You sure ? " Mattie whispered nervously

Very"

Shrugging Mattie hit the guide button found the show and set the remote down on the coffee table.

She felt like bolting. This was new to her. Awkward.

Unsure of what to say or do Mattie clasped her hands in her lap and focused her attention on the tv in between figuring out an excuse to get the hell out of Jordan's apartment.

Jordan noticed that Mattie was nervous. He decided to stretch out on the couch so he shifted so that e  situated himself to where his head would land on Mattie's lap. Jordan  moved slowly so he wouldn't scare her. Once he lay his head on her lap he looked up and grinned.

"Uh ..um would you like me to move so you can be more comfortable ?"Mattie whispered stuttering nervously

No I'm perfectly comfortable where I'm at. You good?"

Mattie felt her face heat up "Umhmm" she squeaked

"Good" Jordan  replied  as he snuggled closer to get more comfortable

"Are you ?" Mattie whispered as she attempted to figure out where the hell to put her hands

"Yep" Jordan  assured  Mattie  as he reached up , taking  one of her hands in his and pulled it close to his chest.

They soon became engrossed in the show and Mattie absently began playing with the collar of Jordan's shirt