Chapter Seventeen

Mattie cautiously walked through the open door her eyes darting around the room nervously waiting for Jordan to bark again because Lisa had annoyed him.

"Oh there she is Mr Knight " Lisa informed Jordan as if he couldn't see her walking toward the chair by his bed.

Jordan sighed hoping Lisa would be leaving the room soon and he could be alone with Mattie. "Mattie sit here next to me" he said as he motioned her to the chair next to him.

Mattie nodded shyly as she sat down "I don't know why they keep referring to me as your wife Mr.Knight " she whispered leaning close so Jordan could hear her "I'll talk to her next time she comes in " Mattie continued watching Lisa quietly walk out the door.

"No don't. They're sticklers for no one but family allowed in the rooms and call me Jordan. I think we've been around each other enough to be on a first name bases."

"I-I'm sorry you did say that before and I guess it would look really odd if I didn't refer to you by your first name considering the circumstances. I-I  brought you something . "

"Oh?"

"I know how much you love your latte's and well hospital coffee sucks so .." Mattie trailed off handing Jordan  the cup she kept hidden from both him as well as the nursing staff

"You are awesome Mattie" Jordan  replied  excitedly as he took the cup from her

"Have they let you eat yet? Or are they still restricting you ?"Mattie asked smirking

"They aren't letting me eat yet and its bullshit."

Mattie stood and pulled the curtain closed as she sat back down she pulled a container filled with one of Jordan's favorite foods wings.

"You snuck in wings?"

"I'll hold the container in case someone comes in but I agree you won't make much progress by not eating "Mattie grinned sheepishly as she opened the lid

"I don't even know how to thank you for these" he said a he picked up a wing. He looked at Mattie and noticed how her eyes were lit up with her smile.

"Gotta eat right ?" Mattie grinned "No thanks is necessary just make sure you don't get any of that on your gown or the bed " she snickered handing Jordan another wing with a napkin

"You're the best assistant I've ever had." He let slip as he enjoyed the wings.

"Aiden would've done the same I'm sure "

"Aiden would have stuck to the rules here"

Mattie sat silent as she  laid  her fork across her salad container reaching  for her bottle for  a drink of water feeling her face burn in embarrassment wondering if bringing Jordan the food in was such a good idea Suddenly feeling foolish Mattie began  "Oh I uh .." before  cutting  herself off as she took a sip from the bottle

"Yes?"

"N-nothing. Don't worry about it " Mattie whispered

"Mattie. What were you going to say?

"Th-that maybe uh I guess I just thought he would bring you something in  but that it makes sense that he wouldn't bc-because the doctor would be f-furious "

"The doctor can kiss my ass" he chuckled as he ate another wing

Mattie shook her head as she took another bite of her salad trying to avoid looking at Jordan.When he smiled she couldn't help but notice how beautiful his eyes were and the dimples that dug into his cheeks

Stop it he's your boss for fucks sake idiot

Jordan watched her out of the corner of his eye as thoughts and memories flooded him

I was so jaded by Natalie that I've pushed everyone away and here is this amazing woman who snuck in wings for me and hasn't left side. I have to let her know she's important to me and not just my business. I really like her.

Lisa interrupted by tapping on the door "Mr Knight how's that cough ? Pain ?"

"I'm fine nurse. I don't need anything" he said loudly hoping she wouldn't come into the room until they hid the wings and he cleaned his hands and face off. He chuckled softly as he and Mattie scrambled to get things cleaned up quickly.

"Okay Mr Knight I'll be back around in about two hours I know you had a decon shower but let me know if you'd like a regular one and I'll make sure the pca brings you fresh towels and remakes your bed with fresh linens "

"Thanks Lisa" Jordan replied  trying not to laugh

"Somebody's trying a little too hard "Mattie mumbled hoping Jordan hadn't heard her

Where the fuck had that come from ? He's your boss ass

"Trying too hard? Lisa? You think that's why she's so, what's the word, peppy? I mean she does come in here every thirty minutes or so for no reason."

Oh fuck he heard that!  Shit !  way to go stupid

"You heard that ?"Mattie whispered her face burning

"Yeah I heard it. So do you really think her reason for that is she likes me? Tell me truthfully Mattie"

"Who wouldn't with those eyes and those dimples " Mattie blurted .

It was out of Mattie's mouth before she could stop it

"Uh what I mean is uh ... I need to engage my brain before my mouth opens next time ."

Jordan chuckled. "So you like my eyes and dimples huh?" He asked in a tone of voice Mattie hadn't heard before.

"I um I uh was just pointing out what Lisa probably stood out to h-her "Mattie stammered suddenly wishing the floor would open up and swallow her

"Oh. I was hoping maybe that's what you liked about me. You see I think you have the most gorgeous eyes and when you smile they light up and sparkle." He said in almost a whisper.

Mattie felt her face flush as she stared at the blue blanket on the bed "You do have beautiful eyes"

Jordan smiled as he watched her face turn bright red. "Mattie please don't be embarrassed. I'd really like it if we were able to get to know each other better outside of work. Would you be ok with that?" He asked hoping he wasn't being too forward.

Mattie continued to look down at the blanket a smile playing on her lips "I don't know if my boss would allow that " she murmured

"Your boss sounds like a dick" he said, trying to get a laugh out of her

Mattie laughed so hard she snorted .Burying her face in her hands Mattie groaned inwardly as she felt her face redden even more .

Jordan lost it when Mattie snorted. It soon became a laugh contest with the two of them not being able to control their laughter.

As the laughter died down Jordan decided to make a bold move. "Mattie" he said softly so she would have to lean in to hear him

Mattie raised her head slightly "Did you say something ?"