Chapter 144

"Babe, you're going to be amazing," Steven reassures Pippa as she is waiting to be called in for her audition. "Remember, I'll be there for some of it for the 'chemistry check,' as if we need that."

Pippa giggles, playfully slapping her boyfriend. Right after, a tall lady walks up to them.

"Hi Phillipa, hi Steven!" she exclaims.

"Sophia!" Steven replies, wrapping her in a hug. "Pip, this is my director, Sophia."

"Oh, hi!" Pippa says, extending her hand for a handshake.

"Are you ready Phillipa?"

"Oh, please, call me Pippa," she smiles. "Yeah, I'm ready."

"Good. Come on with me," she says. As Sophia leads Pippa away, Steven flashes her a quick thumbs up. She takes a deep breath. She knows that she's got this.

"Alright, so we are just going to run through the songs that I sent you, and then we are going to have Steven come in for a chemistry check. I mean, you two are already dating, so I'm sure we won't have any problems there, but it's still required," Sophia explains.

"Yeah," Pippa laughs.

"You can look at the sheet music if you need it."

"I'm good, thanks," Pippa smiles.

"Alright, great. I'm going to record this, if that's alright. Also, just before we begin, remember that I'm rooting for you here."

"Thanks," Pippa replies, with a sigh of relief.

Soon, the pianist in the room begins to play the song, and Pippa finds herself transported to another world. She imagines herself singing onstage as Maria, singing in the hotel room with Steven, and singing on the stage of the Salzburg Festival in Austria.

When the song finishes with a final piano chord, Pippa finds herself back in the audition room. Specifically, in the audition room with a director who is seemingly blown away.

"Remind me to thank Steven for name-dropping you," she laughs. "Pippa, that was phenomenal."

"Thank you so much!" Pippa exclaims.

"I'm not even going to have you sing your second song unless you're really adamant upon it, because that was all that I really needed."

"Fine by me."

"Alright, let's get Steven in here to do quick chemistry check, and then you should be good to go," Sophia smiles.

She sticks her head out in the hallway, and the next thing that they know, Steven is standing in the audition room right next to his girlfriend.

"Alright, can you two read line off of this side?" Sophia requests, and the couple nods, taking the papers from her.

They find that the lines are from one of the most romantic scenes, the lines leading up to what is, in the movie, "Something Good," but in the stage version, it is currently leading up to "An Ordinary Couple."

"By the way, it will probably be changed back to 'Something Good' for the production," Sophia adds, before giving them the go-ahead to begin their lines.

They read through the scene, and afterwards, Sophia applauds.

"One thing. You two are not allowed to break up and ruin that chemistry."

They all laugh.

"Not on my watch," Steven says, pulling Pippa into a side-hug.

"Pippa, we will be sending you an e-mail tonight with the results of the audition, but um, just between you and me..."

Sophia winks, and Pippa grows a huge smile on her face as she squeals.

"Thank you so much," Pippa says.

"My pleasure. Now you two have a good rest of your day."

"Bye," Steven and Pippa say simultaneously, and they walk out of the room together.

"You killed it," Steven exclaims, causing Pippa to smile even bigger.

"I love you," she tells him.

"I love you too. So, so much."

Later, after the sun has set and the stars are out, Steven and Pippa are cuddled up on the couch when Pippa hears a notification on her phone. One that she knows signifies an e-mail.

"Do you think that's it?"

"I think that if it's anything else, I'd be surprised," he tells her. "Go ahead and look at it."

Pippa opens up her mail app, and sure enough, she received a message from Sophia. The contents of the letter come as no surprise, but she still jumps up and screams when she reads it.

"Steve, I got the part!"

"Oh my gosh, yay!" he exclaims. "I knew that you would, you little bundle of talent."

He picks her up and swings her around in the air, then sets her back down on her feet.

"This calls for a celebration."

Steven runs off, and a few minutes later, returns with two bowls overflowing with ice cream and whipped cream, sprinkles, and chocolate sauce piled on top.

"You are just too much," Pippa giggles.

"Oh, so you don't want it?" Steven asks.

"Hand it over, mister," Pippa replies, squealing with delight as he hands her the bowl.

"You deserve it. I can't wait for rehearsals to start," Steven says, as Pippa lays her head on her boyfriend's shoulder.

"I can't either. I already know that this is going to be such an amazing production."

Steven smiles to himself. He knows that Pippa is right, and he can't wait to embark on this journey with her. How incredible it is going to be, to get to work on one of the most iconic shows of all time, with the love of his life.