Chapter 58

A week comes and goes, and then, it's Kaitlyn's birthday. Pippa and Jazzy are just putting the final touches on wrapping their gifts, and then, are going to head down to Kait's party that Lin only told her about yesterday.

The eggless, chocolate cake is already down in the banquet hall when Jazzy and Pippa arrive, but short of Lin, that's about it.

"Did you forget to buy decorations, Lin?" Jazzy rolls her eyes.

"No, I just haven't gotten to hang them up yet."

"It's a good thing that we came down early, Pippa," Jazzy laughs.

"What did I tell you? He's a guy. I knew that he wouldn't be prepared."

"Hey!" Lin protests, laughing. "Actually, I could use some help here. Could you blow up some balloons or something?"

The girls grab the bag of silver and purple balloons, Kaitlyn's favorite colors, and begin to blow them up. It quickly turns into a competition of who can blow their balloon up bigger.

"You win, Jazzy," Pippa says, taking frantic deep breaths. Jazzy laughs.

"You alright over there? Do you need, like, an oxygen tank or something? You look like you did the first time you put your corset on, when we first got our costumes back at the Public."

Pippa rolls her eyes. "I'm okay, thanks."

Both girls start to giggle.

"Less laughing, and more hanging up balloons over there," Lin requests, tossing rolls of Scotch tape at both of them.

"Fair enough," Jazzy chuckles, and hops up on a step stool to tape up balloons.

Soon, the others start to trickle in. Just as Jazzy and Pippa are hanging up the last of the streamers that Lin has given then, Kaitlyn walks in.

"Happy Birthday, Kait!" everyone screams, running up and smushing her in a huge group hug.

"Oh my gosh! Thank you guys so much!" she squeals, hugging everyone back. Kait is smiling so big, that Pippa is worried that her face is going to break. "All of the decorations are so pretty!"

"That was all me," Lin smirks.

"Shut up Lin. It was not all you," Jazzy giggles, sending everyone into a fit of laughter.

"He bought them, and Jas and I did most of the hanging," Pippa whispers to Kaitlyn, who smiles.

"Why does that not surprise me? I love you two," she says, pulling the girls into another hug.

"Do you want to have cake or open presents first?" Carleigh asks.

"Can we have presents first, and then cake?" Kaitlyn asks.

"Of course! I want to go first!" Lin says, as everyone sits down at the big table that they set up. Pippa and Jazzy are on either side of Kaitlyn.

Lin hands Kaitlyn a silver, glittery bag, with white tissue paper peeking out of the top.

"Lin, thank you so much!" Kaitlyn squeals. She pulls away the tissue paper and finds a scarf with the lyrics to 'The Schuyler Sisters' written on it. "Oh my gosh! This is so nice and soft!"

"I'm so glad that you like it, Kait! Thanks for being a great member of this cast."

"Okay, me next!" Jazzy says, jumping up and getting a package wrapped in Tangled wrapping paper, as a little inside joke.

"Jazzy, did you really wrap this in-"

"Of course I did! Pippa wrapped hers in it too, because we only bought one roll of wrapping paper."

"Okay, but I get the feeling that it was your idea," she chuckles. "Don't worry Jas, I still love you."

"Good, because you're never getting rid of me!" Jazzy laughs, wrapping Kaitlyn in a side-hug. "Now, open it up!"

Kaitlyn rips the paper and finds a soft, fuzzy, purple beanie. "Aw Jazzy! This is so sweet!"

"I'm so glad that you like it!" Jazzy says. Kaitlyn thanks her, and then, Jazzy announces that it's Pippa's turn.

Pippa hands Kaitlyn, wrapped in the same Tangled wrapping paper, and Kaitlyn tears open the package. Pippa got Kaitlyn knitted boot socks, with ruffles of lace at the top.

"These are so cute, Pippa! They'll be perfect this winter!"

"Yay! You like it!" Pippa squeals.

"Of course I do!" Kaitlyn replies, pulling Pippa into a hug. "You're the sweetest."

The rest of the cast gets Kaitlyn various knick knacks that she opens, and are all super sweet gifts. Brett's gift is last. He kicks Jazzy out of her seat so that he can sit next to his girlfriend while she opens her present.

At the top of the bag are a bunch of pairs of fuzzy socks in every color imaginable. Kait laughs. Brett knows how much she loves fuzzy socks. One of the pairs even had reindeer on them! Underneath those, Brett hid the cast album to the Broadway revival of Miss Saigon. The original version of the show was one of her favorite cast albums, so of course she was a big fan of the revival as well. At the very bottom of the bag, was a little grey box. It was bigger than a ring box, so Kaitlyn knew that she wasn't getting proposed to, but it was definitely some sort of jewelry.

"Oh my gosh, Brett, it's beautiful!" Kaitlyn breathes, fingering the purple amethyst pendant, on a silver chain. The gemstone was in the shape of a teardrop and was framed with silver and tiny diamonds.

"You like it?" Brett asks, self-consciously.

"Brett, of course I do!" Kaitlyn says, kissing his cheek.

"Oh, I was so scared that you wouldn't!" he says.

"Oh, sweetie, of course I do! I love it, as the matter of fact! And, I love you."

At that, Kaitlyn pulls Brett into a kiss, and the whole cast starts to clap.

Kaitlyn decides that this is the best birthday ever.