Chapter 19

They have an abundance of rehearsals once they get to D.C. Lin is determined for the shows to be perfect, unlike the ones in Portland were. They had a lot of rehearsals practicing with the substitutes and understudies. Pippa had rehearsed with Jazzy as Peggy/Maria, with Kaitlyn as Peggy/Maria, with Kaitlyn as Angelica, with Lana as Angelica, with Araella as Angelica, and with Jessamine as Peggy/Maria. There were so many different combinations. It was crazy.

The first week of shows was almost done. The plan to monitor Lana was not extremely eventful. Lana didn't do a lot when she was at the theatre- she rehearsed her lines, put on stage makeup, and warmed up like everyone else. There were some moments, though, when Jazzy, Pippa and Kaitlyn were all onstage and Lana wasn't. That was what most concerned Pippa.

She didn't enjoy being so hostile towards Lana, but part of Pippa hated her. Lana knew that Kaitlyn liked Brett. A true Schuyler Sisters would recognize that and let Kaitlyn have Brett. Lana didn't. Instead, she flirted with Brett, who didn't even make an effort to push Lana away. Pippa could tell that it was beginning to bother Kaitlyn.

"Places in five minutes," the intercom announced.

Lin hurried into the Schuyler Sisters' dressing room. He was breathless and his face was flushed.

"We have a problem," he said. "Brett received news that his mother has passed away."

Pippa looked up from bobby-pinning her hair. "What?"

"Brett's mother died suddenly this morning. He's not doing the show, and I just wanted to warn everyone in the cast about the situation. Jonas will be filling in Brett's spot," Lin explained.

"That's so sad," Jazzy said. "We'll perform for Brett tonight."

The show went well. Pippa could tell that everyone was throwing in their heart and soul into that night's show. They wanted to make Brett proud. The energy in the cast was higher than it ever had been on the tour. Yorktown was especially emotional.

The tour cast had decided to make a tradition that any ensemble member could wave the white truce flag. Usually Brett was the one who would hold 'elections' for the member that would get to do it. That show, he hadn't been there because he was with his family.

The cast had chosen Kaitlyn, because she was his usual dance partner. In almost every song they were paired together. Usually, Kaitlyn and Brett were both on the stage as part of Hamilton's brigade. This time, Kaitlyn was a member of the British Army, and Dani and Jonas were on the stage. It was strange.

Yorktown had never been so emotional for the cast before. They were all thinking of Brett.

The entire show was difficult to get through, but everyone did an extraordinary job, considering the circumstances. After the show, Kaitlyn wiped off her stage makeup and changed into leggings, her gray slipper boots, and her Tangled sweatshirt. She checked her phone.

There were messages from three different people- Kaitlyn's brother, Renee, and Brett. Kaitlyn's brother was going to propose to his girlfriend soon. She'd never gotten a message from Renee before, and she was surprised that Brett was texting her, considering what he was going through.

Brett: heard you waved the white flag today

Kaitlyn: i did it for you :) how are you doing?

Brett: it's rough

Kaitlyn: i'm sorry. if you want to talk about it i'm free whenever

Brett: i might take four to five days off from the tour, but that doesn't mean we can't still talk

Kaitlyn: definitely

Brett: i have to go. i'll see you soon

Kaitlyn: goodnight, brett

Renee had texted Kaitlyn about joining her, Jazzy and Pippa the next day after the show. The girls planned on going out for dinner and walking around the National Mall.

---------------------------

ayeeeeeee

it's abbydancesx here, and I just wanted to thank you all so much for 2K READS?!?!! I can't believe this!!!

also, darkdisrepair survived her tech week, and now I'm in tech, so wish me luck... ugh.... haha! (in case you guys don't read my books, i am on crew- i auditioned but didn't get in... long story ahaha)

anywhooooo

thank you all sososo much for your amazing support on this book!! xx