Chapter 29

The week of rehearsals went pretty well. There were the usual mess-ups, and some falls, but it was an overall good week. There wasn't much of a backstage in the theatre, but they managed. The set pieces were fit onto the stage and then they put large black backdrops on the sides to create wings of the stage. They utilized the actual theatre for the upper levels of the blocking.

Pippa was waiting to rehearse 'Schuyler Sisters' with Jessamine and Lana. Jazzy was going to be watching the show with Vanessa and picking her up from the airport. Kaitlyn was onstage running through 'Yorktown'. Kaley, the swing stepping in for Jessa, seemed to be doing alright.

"She missed her mark," Jessa commented. They'd reached the part in 'Yorktown' when the music suddenly dropped out and the ensemble was left motionless, each illuminated by their own spotlight. Jessa's spotlight, usually on stage left, was empty and Kaley was standing in the dark.

"Stop!" Alex called. The ensemble relaxed and the full stage lights turned on. "We're having people miss their marks. Kaley, I know you haven't run Jessa's track in a while, but we need to get through this before this afternoon. Jessa, can you step in for Kaley to show her?"

Jessa glanced back at Pippa and Lana before running across the stage and bounding into her spot. Kaley, embarrassed, stepped to the wings.

"From the top," Alex said.

The music resumed. Pippa had never really registered Jessa's dancing before. She was good. She had a lot of energy.

"That Kaley girl isn't very good," Lana commented. "She's nowhere as talented as half of the ensemble girls and, of course, us."

Pippa was shocked. "Lana, she's a fantastic dancer! She has had to learn half of the girls' dance choreography. She's doing a good job."

They finished the song, with Kaitlyn sprinting up the set of stairs to the second level with the white flag. Brett had chosen her to wave the flag in the competition that morning, but due to how the stage was set up, she had to sprint to make it to the second level in time.

"Okay. We'll run 'Yorktown' one more time and then we'll do 'Schuyler Sisters'. You'll be excused for the afternoon to explore the city, and then you must be back her in time for this evening's show. Make sure not to make plans. We have a hang-out planned," Alex announced.

He and Pippa exchanged glances.

Vanessa was coming that night to tell Lin about the baby.

Pippa's phone buzzed as the opening bars of 'Yorktown' began again, and Jessa hurried over before she could get trapped on the wrong side of the stage.

Vanessa: I'm landing in two hours. Can you or Alex pick me up?

Pippa: jazzy's picking you up and watching the show with you. she got a ticket for the seat next to you.

Vanessa: Great! Thanks for doing all this, Pippa.

Pippa: anything for you, vanessa :) i have go sing schuyler sisters with jessa and lana soon

Vanessa: See you tonight, love.

Pippa put her phone away, managing to see Kaitlyn sprinting to get the white flag and to the second level in time for her cue. Kaley had made it into her spotlight this time.

They quickly wrapped up rehearsal and Pippa and Kaitlyn decided to explore the city. They eventually found Mirabelle Gardens, where some of 'Do Re Mi' was filmed. They got someone walking down the street to take their picture. Then, they went to Icezeit.

Kaitlyn ended up getting gelato, but Pippa didn't want to risk anything with her egg allergy. She knew that recipes varied from place to place, and depending on how they made their products, they could still have cross-contamination. Usually it wasn't a big deal in the United States, but she didn't want to risk her health, especially in Austria.

Pippa got a text from Jazzy saying that she picked Vanessa up from the airport and was taking her to the hotel room.

"We'd better head back to the theatre to get ready for the show," Pippa said sadly.

"Yeah," Kaitlyn agreed.

They walked back to the theatre and began to get ready for the show. It was strange being in the dressing room without Jazzy, but knowing that she was going to be in the audience made Pippa determined to make eye contact with her during the show. If she could find her, that is.

The show began. Pippa searched for Jazzy and Vanessa the whole show. Lin gave no hints that he knew his wife was in the audience, thankfully. So far, the plan to surprise him was working. Alex stuck his tongue out at Pippa from the pit and Pippa almost broke character laughing, but she composed herself in time for 'Satisfied'.

She finally found Jazzy while she was singing 'Burn', sitting near stage left. Jazzy sent Pippa a kiss and made a heart sign over her heart. Vanessa gave a little wave. Pippa smiled a little bit and then jumped back into her character of Eliza.

When the show was over, the entire cast went back for the 'hang out' that Alex had mentioned.

They all sat on the stage facing Alex.

"Tonight's show was amazing. Congratulations to Jessa, for filling in for Jazzy, and to Kaley, for filling in Jessa's spot," Lin announced. Jazzy had returned and was sitting behind Pippa, absentmindedly playing with her friend's silky hair. Pippa personally thought her hair was disgusting because she'd been sweating all evening, but Jazzy didn't seem to mind.

"You all did an amazing job. Seeing the show tonight was so nice, and I was thrilled to watch it with Vanessa!" Jazzy exclaimed, motioning toward the wings, where Vanessa stepped out from where she had been standing in the shadows.