Chapter 101

They have their second round of rehearsals the next day. It went a little more slowly because Daniel was being put-in, and the absence of Carleigh was still extremely apparent.

"When is Carleigh's flight supposed to get in?" Daveed demanded halfway through rehearsing the dreaded 'Yorktown'.

"She said that they're going to take off in about three hours," Araella called from the back. "She'll be here tonight, I think."

"Good," Daveed said. "After we run 'Yorktown', I'm going give you guys some free time. Rehearsal without a main ensemblist is nearly pointless."

"Yes, less rehearsal," Jazzy said under her breath. Pippa snorted.

"You're so lazy, Jazzy," she said, rolling her eyes.

After running through 'Yorktown' and having more spotlight problems, Daveed let the cast disperse into the theatre. Pippa sat next to Jazzy in the first row of seats.

"So, what did you guys do last night?" Pippa asked.

Jazzy looked up from her phone. "Um, nothing," she said quickly, and then looked back down at her phone. "The usual shenanigans."

Pippa narrowed her eyes. "You never use the word shenanigans," she said suspiciously. Jazzy looked up from her phone again.

"What do you want me to say? 'I ate precisely four and a pepperoni pieces of pizza?'"

"Jeez, I was just wondering," Pippa said. "Be like that."

"Wait, Pip, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you like that, but there's not much to say. Really. We talked and then we played Heads Up."

"What did you guys talk about?"

"Nothing," Jazzy said instantly. "Nothing you need to worry about."

"Tell meeee," Pippa whined.

"No, Pippa," Jazzy told her. "I'm not going to. It's nothing you need to hear from me. Don't worry about it."

"Jasmine Cephas Jones, I swear-"

"Pippa, chill. It's nothing about you, I promise. Go back to texting Steven," Jazzy said sharply.

"Why can't you tell me? If it's not about me, then why is it such a big deal?" Pippa demanded. "I thought we were friends."

"Don't pull that card on me, Phillipa Soo," Jazzy warned. "I'm not going to say anything that I don't need to say. It's not something I'm going to tell you, because it's not my thing to tell."

"Fine," Pippa pouted. She got up and headed over to where Araella and Jessa were having a cartwheeling contest on the stage.

~~~~~~

After the short break, Daveed had them run through 'Non-Stop', which was arguably the most chaotic ensemble song. Pippa felt bad for Daniel, because he looked utterly confused for most of the time.

They moved on to 'Schuyler Sisters' for another attempt at using the turntables again. It was better this time, but Pippa was still irritated at Jazzy. The song probably wasn't as sisterly as it usually was. Lana was doing better than ever on the harmonies, though Pippa was proud.

"Alright guys, we're going to rehearse the rest of the day. We'll end at about seven," Daveed announced. "I'd like to get one song in with Carleigh before tomorrow."

"RIP Carleigh," Pippa heard Jessa whisper under her breath.

"'Schuyler Sisters' is improving," Daveed continued. "That's good news. We're going to quickly run through sections of 'Alexander Hamilton' to get the harmonies tight, and then we're going to run 'Yorktown' again."

Pippa mentally groaned. She was sick of 'Yorktown', and she didn't even really have a big part in that number.

The run through of 'Alexander Hamilton' went quicker than Pippa thought it would go, and 'Yorktown' was slowly but surely coming together.

Then Daveed let them have another ten minute break.

Pippa had gotten a text from Carleigh while they were rehearsing.

It was of Carleigh dancing the entirety of 'Yorktown' in the airport lounge. She'd clearly gotten a stranger or something to film, because Pippa was certain that she was traveling alone.

It was a good performance. Pippa had to applaud Carleigh's dedication.

"Pippa?"

It was Jazzy.

"What?" Pippa snapped.

"Just... if you want to know what we talked about, you have to ask Lana," Jazzy said. "That's all. I'll leave you alone now, because I can see that I've upset you."

Pippa blinked. She was a little surprised, but she nodded. Jazzy gave her a thin smile before turning back to Jessa and Ariana.