Chapter Thirty: It Felt Beautiful

"What?" Is all that manages to escape my mouth. It comes out more like a whisper.

He looks in the other direction, not wanting to meet my gaze. "When I was 10 my dad died in a car crash." My heart breaks for him as I rest his head on my shoulder for some sort of comfort, any comfort I can give him.

"He was everything to me. He taught me how to play guitar, he introduced me to rock, which made me who I am today." His voice breaks a little, making me squeeze his hand harder. He quickly wipes away a stray tear before continuing.

"My mom and him were having fights the last two years before he died. The last year they didn't even live together at all, I was moving from one place to another. My mom found Carlos, my new dad, at that time I hated him and so did my dad. So after he died and I had to move in with Carlos, let's just say I wasn't the easiest kid to handle. But Carlos never stopped trying to make me feel at home or the absence of a father. The same year they had Lewis, who's my half brother, which must've been the happiest day of my life." He smiles sadly.

"It took me a while but I started calling Carlos Dad. My relationship with my mom improved too, and I stopped blaming her for my dad's death. I didn't forget about him though, no matter how hard I tried he was still everything to me. I never stopped playing guitar either. At first, I played for him thinking it'd somehow bring him back in some weird way. I realised I couldn't, but I didn't stop playing because I was playing for myself now. I loved to play, and I knew my dad would've never wanted me to stop playing just because he was gone. So I got better and better at it, played till my fingers were sore, it was always my way of expressing my feelings which is something I'm terrible at by the way if you haven't realised." He laughs softly, and I find myself doing the same.

"Hey, you're not that bad." I give him a reassuring smile. "Your Dad sounded like a great guy."

"Yeah he was. He would've loved you, you know?"

"Your rock obsessed Dad would've loved the girl next door that plays classical piano music?" I raise my eyebrow at him.

"We both know you're a secret little rockstar, Gem." He says with a smirk.

"My little rockstar."

I abruptly push Landon away from me and get up. "Don't call me that."

"Gem, are you alright-" He says cautiously, stepping towards me.

"Just don't call me that ever again." I start to pace back to the ladder, trying to rid myself of the memories that have come flooding back.

Before I can make my way down, I'm pulled back. Landon keeps me from moving by securing an arm around my waist. "What aren't you telling me?"

"I don't need to tell you anything!" I struggle to get out of his iron grip.

"You expect me to tell you everything but you won't ever do the same, Gem!" I know he's right, that's what angers me even more. "What happened to no secrets?"

"YOU CANT CALL ME THAT BECAUSE AXEL CALLED ME THAT!" I shout.

His grip loosens, clearly taken aback by my sudden outburst. He still carries on, and I wish he didn't. "Axel who?"

His grey eyes pierce into mine, reminding me that I can't keep any secrets from him. "Axel Ryder. My- my ex boyfriend..."

***

We find ourselves in the same spot as before. This time, my body leaning on Landon for support. This time, my secrets being unveiled.

"Three years ago, I met this guy called Axel. We bumped into each other at a music festival and hit it off almost immediately."