Chapter Twenty Nine: Sunsets and Secrets

Comenzar desde el principio

"Now, are you ready to tell Adonis about how much you want to jump his bones?"

"Gee!"

"Dee!"

"You're impossible." I shake my head at her, my cheeks still slightly red.

"I mean, you didn't deny it though."

***

After Gigi leaves, because her mom needed her for 'Fashion Advice', I find myself sitting alone on a park bench. Thanks Dad did forcing me to stay out my own house.

My phone buzzes, and although I'm not in the mood for answering anyone, the contact name that appears on my lockscreen leaves me opening the messages as fast as I can.

I laugh slightly, getting ready to type something else, but my phone rings before I can

"Hello you've reached the voicemail of Heidi Thompson. Leave a message after the- HOLY FUCKING SHIT GET AWAY FROM ME!" I frantically swat away the wasp next to me, blowing my cover.

"Nice try, Gem. You're such a dork it pains me." The voice from the other end chuckles.

"Shut up. I'm having the worst day ever." I groan.

"Are you free?"

"Nah, I'm expensive."

"You're hilarious."

"It's a gift. Also, I'm currently sat alone on a park bench."

"I'm texting you an address." I can hear typing from his end of the line. "I'll see you there in 10."

"Why where are we-"

"You'll see in 10. Bye Gem!" He hangs up, before I can protest any further.

***

"The things I do for you, Landon Knight." I shake my head amusedly, whilst approaching him.

"Which is why you're easily my favourite person."

As cringey as this sounds, his comments like that make me melt inside. Oh god Heidi, stop it. Why do I feel like this every time I'm around him. I never used to.

I cough, keeping my voice even. "Why are we at this shabby motel..."

"You'll see, but we need to be really quick."

He grabs my hand and pulls me to the back of the motel, which looks even worse than the front if that's possible.

He stands in front of an unstable looking ladder and looks at me. "Not afraid of heights, are you?"

"No, but I'm afraid of that death machine."

"I'll be right behind you, Gem. C'mon we need to be quick." He ushers me forward.

"Fine." I say, starting to climb the shaky ladder. "But if I die, make sure to bury me with a lifetime supply of gummy worms."

If I could see him right now, I just know he'd be rolling his eyes.

I hear him climb the ladder behind me and laugh at something.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing." He says, trying to compose himself. "I'm just appreciating the view from down here."

"Zuko! I swear to god, I'll kick you off."

"Sorry sorry."

Boys.

I climb the final step, and jump onto what looks like a rooftop.

Landon catches up easily and joins me. He takes my hand and leads us to the edge. I sit, letting my legs swing over the edge. It's a good thing I'm not scared of heights, since we're a good two stories up.

He follows my movements and points to the clear view we have of the sun. "It's setting."

I marvel at the beautiful sight in front of us. It feels as though we're so close to the sun that it could engulf us. I feel an arm go around me. I glance at Landon, who looks at me with a hesitant expression on his face. I smile and lean into his embrace, resting my head on his shoulder. I swear I hear him release a sigh of relief.

We watch in silence for a few minutes, taking in everything this view has to offer. "That was beautiful." I say, breaking the silence.

He rests his chin on my head. "You'll never get a view as good as the one up here."

"How'd you even find this place? You and Dylan must come here all the time."

"Believe it or not, only you know about this place." I look up at him and he nods at me, affirming what he's said is true.

"I found it when I was 10 after my..." He stops, a conflicted expression crossing his face, debating whether or not he should tell me.

I cup his face with one of my hands. "After what Landon?"

Instead of pushing me away, surprisingly he leans into my touch, taking my hand in his.

"After- after my dad died..."

____________________________________________

DUN DUN DUN!!!!

Be prepared the next chapter will be filled with lots of new revelations and a lot of tears. So be sure to bring your tissues! :(

Vote, comment and share!! I love you all to the gummy bear heavens and back xxx
~H <3