Chapter 51: A Flower Blooming

AN: Man, I better see more comments in the coming chapters, like I have given you three whole chapters in 3 days bishes. That's more than I did these past 3 years lol. Okay, fine, this is an old chapter, but still, love me like I love you. 🥺

=====

Random hugs from behind; little kisses on the neck in the pretense of being playful; discreet finger grazes under the table; subtle compliments; time spent together; Lauren leaving a rose for Camila every now and then (almost every single fucking day), with little notes or quotes as if they're in high school; Camila leaving post-it notes on Lauren's books or mirror or fridge (warning her not to eat her cookies, but telling her she brought her her favorite food); sweet text messages they exchange throughout the day. Those kinds of things they like to pass off as close friendship for the lack of label they could pin in the current state of their relationship, although both of them know it has never been just friendship between the two of them.

When this line between friendship and mutual attraction has finally been crossed, emotionally and physically, the need for something more is felt stronger and stronger as the days pass by. They build a silent understanding that they might actually be something more than just novelty or lust (which, Lauren already knew). A silent understanding that reflects a lot on their actions, that anybody looking closely enough will know that whenever Camila subtly tilts her head at a certain angle as if wanting to let her neck be kissed, or quirks the corner of her lips when Lauren winks at her, or when she leaves Mr. Snuggles beside Nala on Lauren's bed whenever Camila leaves for class, that's already in a level beyond what they like to pretend they are at.

At this point, Lauren doesn't need to hear any words of confirmation from Camila. Their physical and mental connection is enough to satisfy her for now.

=

"Shawn, I told you, you didn't have to buy me flowers," Camila says when he hands her a bouquet of daisies -- it used to be her favorite when they were younger, claiming that daisies are way cuter than roses. "I can't eat flowers, it's not practical."

"C'mon, Milz! You're my princess, and you deserve everything nice on your special day!" Shawn insists.

This irks Camila, because they have talked about this. Just a week ago, she finally has gotten the chance to talk to Shawn. Not to break up with him (her nerves have gotten the best of her), but to ask for some space. She couldn't tell him yet that she has been cheating on him, nor she could find the courage to tell him to his face that she doesn't love him anymore, so she simply asks for space under the guise of wanting time to focus on herself and her studies. In her own twisted way, she wants to just let him down easy, to let time do the work, the separation to finally make him realize that they are better off separated.

She's a coward, she knows that.

Shawn, while forced to accept Camila's request, sometimes still forgets that they're on a break. It's just reflex for him to still act like her boyfriend, just like what he's doing now.

Camila lets it pass.

"My birthday's not today yet," she sighs.

"Well, put it in a vase next to your bed, and the flowers will still be as pretty tomorrow," he smiles. "It'll be nice to wake up and see something beautiful -- then you'll know how I feel every time I'm with you."

Good ol' nice unassuming Shawn, Camila thinks; everything to him is pleasant and sweet, and she has the urge to claw at her own eyes just so she wouldn't feel guilty about what she has done every time she looks at his face full of love and adoration for her, although, as days pass by, she feels less and less guilty.