Chapter 24: Strawberries & Whipped Cream

I drag Misa full force all the way to the elevator and pull her in. "What the hell was that?" I ask.

Misa blushes and looks down, seemingly ashamed. "I...I made Light mad. It's alright, I'm sure he didn't mean to."

I roll my eyes. "Misa, stop being so blind. You have two men in front of you: one who treats you like utter crap and one who has been nice and a really good 'boyfriend.' I really want you to open up your eyes and see who is better for you," I say.

"Okay Aurora! I get it! It's just...you don't understand."

"I don't understand? Understand what? That Light just slapped you across the face because you didn't do what he wanted you to?"

Misa looked down. "I need to tell you something but...not right now. We can't be here. I have a gig tonight at Arisol's Garden Park. It's for new and upcoming models. I'm very iconic so they want me to lead and direct the show. But I want to talk to you there. Will you come and walk?"

"Walk? As in..."

"Model," she confirms.

I pale. "You mean...exploit myself?"

"Aurora! That's not what we models do!!" She whines.

"Fine, I'll do it, Misa," I say.

"Really? You will?" She squeals as we reach the ground floor. "I'm so excited! I'll find you an outfit right away!!" She starts to run off but I grab her wrist.

"Misa, you have to make a decision. Alright? Haru shouldn't have to wonder what you two are. You have to define it for him," I say.

"I know...I will. Eventually."

"Misa, I'm telling him about Light."

"What? No! Don't!"

"I am. He needs to know," I say.

"Oh alright," she answers, groaning.

"I'll see you later, Misa. I have some business to discuss with L," I say. I hurry through the building, until I found L in the kitchen, eating a strawberry shortcake.

"Ah, Aurora, I was just about to look for you. I have another...job for you."

"Oh? What is it?" I ask.

"I uh...want you to go to the supermarket and pick up some strawberries. I need them for..."

I laugh, "L, all you have to do is ask me to pick them up. You don't have to disguise it as a job."

L looks relieved. "Oh, well in that case, will you also pick up some whipped cream?"

I nod. "Yeah, sure thing." I walk to the sitting room and spot Silver sitting by herself. "Silver, I'm running to the store for L, want to come?" I ask.

Silver looks up from a book, surprised but happy. "Yeah, sure! Let's go!"

We both walk out and wave a taxi. We get into the taxi and the driver takes us to the supermarket. We got out and I paid the driver. "So L sent me for strawberries. See any?" I ask as we look around.

Silver smiles and takes my hand, pulling me to the produce aisle. "They should be around here somewhere."

I smile. "Right, thank you. He also wanted me to get whipped cream. Can you get that?"

Silver nods, "Yup! I know exactly where it is. We'll meet here?"

I nod. "Yes, thank you very much, Silver."

"Don't mention it." Silver walks away.

I look around the produce aisle, searching for fresh strawberries. The aisle was empty except for me. I kept looking until I finally found some. But someone found me.

"Aurora Hakatashi. Stop right there!"

I slowly turn my head to see who it was. A man with dark, slightly graying hair stood in a black trench coat. He appeared to be from the DRI.

"You're returning back to the institute with me," he demands.

I smile an eerie grin. "Is that so?"

He blinks and nods. "Y-yes! Now come on, miss!" He steps forward and grabs my arm, pulling me.

"I am going to give you one chance to let go of my arm," I say.

He continues to pull me.

I shrug and, with one swift maneuver of my vectors, I slice his arm off. He begins screaming in pain and agony and I roll my eyes. "I told you."

Silver comes running to me, shocked. "Is he from the DRI?" She asks quickly, holding the can of whipped cream.

I nod. "Yes, there's probably more of them. We should hurry. I don't want to put you in danger." I grab the strawberries and dash to a checkout counter.

"Hi, how are you doing tonight?" The checkout girl asked.

"Just fine, thank you," I say, wishing she'd skip the conversation and just do her job.

She scanned the two items and put them in a bag. "Your total is $4.32. Making strawberry shortcakes tonight?"

"Mhm," I mumble as I dig in my bag for money.

"Aurora! Get back here!" The man shouts, his voice strained.

I hand the lady a $5 bill. "Keep the change." I grab the bag of stuff and make a mad dash for the door, Silver on my heels. I noticed the sky was turning a light shade of gray and frowned as I waved down a cab. We hopped into the cab and sigh in relief. "Man...they find me everywhere," I say.

"So you've encountered them before today?"

I nod. "Yes. They came to the task force building. It was like they knew exactly where I was."

"That's pretty frightening. At least you can protect yourself from them."

I nod. It was a good thing. If I didn't have my vectors, I would've been back at the DRI still. "Yeah, you're right."

We sat in silence for a few seconds before Silver spoke again. "You're really important to L."

My eyes widen slightly. "Huh?"

"L cares about you."

"But...how can you tell?" I ask, flustered and blushing.

"I can tell. He wants to protect you."

"He told you that?"

"Not quite, Aurora, but when I pulled him aside earlier and asked him why he decided to take you in and hide you from the DRI, he simply stated that he wanted to. L doesn't usually do reckless things like taking in a woman who could possibly kill him. It's not in his nature. He may not know it, but I do, Aurora. He cares for you. A lot."

I took in her words and blinked a few times. Wow, what an eventful trip simply to buy strawberries.

~{This chapter was sorta a filler. I basically have everything planned out for the remainder of this story! I'm so excited!}~