chapter eight

Chapter eight
Sawyer's POV.

"Thanks for lunch, Sykes," I said, as Nathan focused on the road.

"You're welcome, Lea," he smiles.

"Do you really have to go?" He suddenly asked, breaking the brief silence between us.

"Hmm?"

"I meant, do you have plans?"

"Um, not really. I'm pretty sure Hannah is hanging with Jess and her friends somewhere and my dad well, he's probably at work so.." I trail off before my eyes meet his, "did you have something in mind?"

"Well, I was thinking that maybe we could go to Manchester together?" He asked, nervously.

"Manchester?" I hadn't been, and quite frankly I had no idea as to why he'd suddenly want to go there.

"One of my good friends, Max, well he's more like a brother to me, lives there and I haven't seen him in a while and it wouldn't be that fun going all the way to Manchester alone, would it?"

"Hmmm.. Okay. When do ya wanna leave?"

"Today....?" He let out a cheeky smile.

"You're insane," I laughed, but I meant it. He was insane. I didn't even know how far the journey would be from here to Manchester. "I don't even have clothes, Nathan"

"Right.. but can't you just survive a day off my hoodies and sweats?"

"They are comfortable,"

"You better not steal them, like how you were planning to steal my sunnies"

"Sunnies,"

~

"All set?" Nathan asked as he shoved his phone into his back pocket.

" I was ready like an hour ago,"

"Sorry!" He immediately said.

"Its alright," I give him a reassuring smile.

"Mum, we're leaving now!" Nathan yelled from the front door as he carried a bag out to the car.

"Okay, sweetie. Call me when you land and take care of Sawyer, alright?" She said.

"You take care of me? More like the other way around" I mumbled, making sure he heard.

"Oh shush!"

"Bye, mum!" Nathan said while walking out the door

"Bye, Karen!" I followed him out.

~

"Nathan, wake up! We've landed!" I tried waking him up. Truth was, I'd been nudging him and softly slapping his face for way too long and none of it was working.

"Ahh, give me a few more minutes" he whined, like an actual child.

"Oh no, no. Remember when you ruined my sleep? Now wake up, Sykes!" I shook him.

"Okay, okay. I'm up!"

We both grabbed our bags and walked out together.
I looked at my phone to see more messages than I had expected.

"Something wrong?" Nathan asked.

"Um, it's my dad." I mumbled.

"Oh, uh, are you in trouble?"

"I don't know. I don't know if I want to know either,"

"Ah, give me your phone. I'll just say that you'll be back tomorrow and for him not to worry. We'll face the trouble tomorrow alright?"

"We'll?"

"Yeah! I'm not gonna let you take the blame for it, am I?" He smiled.

"So, who am I supposed to look for?" I ask as we make our way out to the gate.

"Um, a average sized guy, about my height, shaved head, probably in a green hoodie,"

"Right, got it."

"Ah! There he is!" Nathan said, excitedly.

"NATH!" His friend called out.

"Maaaaaaaaaax! I've missed you mate!" He said as they hugged.

"Awww, missed ya too, Nath!"

"Oh, and this is Lea" Nathan introduced.

"Sawyer," I cut him off. "Nice to meet you" I said.

"Its good to meet you too, darling. I'm Max" he smiled.

~

"So, how'd you two meet?" Max asked.

"Through Jess," Nathan replied.

"Are you two like loved up or something?" He asked, a cheeky smile plastered across his face.

"WHAT?" I immediately said.

"No, no, no" Nathan then said.

"Well, ya could've fooled me."

"Shut up, Max" Nathan said.

"Ah, I've missed your snarky little comments" Max smiled as he fiddled with Nathan's ear.

"Nicelayyyyyy," Nathan said in a different voice.

It is crazy that I felt like the third weel? They had an adorable relationship.

"Aw, you two clearly are made for each other" I said.

Both of them were surprised at the sound of the words 'made for each other' but then smiled.

"Ah, we're here," Max said as we pulled up to his house.

~

"Upstairs, first two doors on the right, those are the guest rooms. Feel free to sleep in any one of them. Unless, Nath, would you like to sleep with me?" Max asked.

"Of course," Nathan smiled.

"Are ya DTF?" Max then asked in a cheeky tone.

"Always, baby!" Nathan responded.

"Oh-my-god! Get a room, you twoooo!!!" I got grossed out.

The two of them laughed before continuing their bromance which, at this point, I was convinced was actually pure romance.