Chapter 62 - Fragile Heartstrings

Chapter sixty two,
Sawyer.

-

It was dark out, and I had been packing my bag for an hour now, or attempting to. I was practically shoving every piece of clothing in my bag, then pouring everything out of my bag and folding them once I realise how creased they'll be.

I had my hair in a high bun, despite the current migraine. I had zero clue if my father was even home, then again, where would he be at this hour? And, on top of that, I had Christmas music playing since my iPod was on shuffle.

Nothing makes sense.

"It's not even Christmas, for the love of God!" I retort, throwing my portable speakers, and it eventually landing on the floor.

A second later, I'm mentally cursing at myself whilst I pick the speaker up, relieved to see that it was still working. I sighed deeply before sitting down, against the wall – my head buried in my hands.

I hear a knock on my door and my dad slowly opening it, his head popping in, concerned look plastered all over his face.

"I'm fine!" I yell, unintentionally.

"I was going to ask if you'd like Chinese for dinner," he says, calmly.

"Gosh, I'm sorry. I-I think I'm gonna go run some errands, so don't worry about dinner for me," I say, grabbing my phone along with the spare set of car keys.

I give him a quick hug and walk downstairs when I could've sworn I heard his voice say, "Tell Nathan, I send my regards" My head snaps back, "what?" I question, more worried than I looked.

"I said, I'll see you when you get home" he smiles, and I shake my head in confusion before hurrying out the front door.

A solid seven minutes later; and I was parked up front of the Sykes's household. It was incredibly ironic how nearby our houses were. I sat in my car, with the lights – engine – everything turned off, as I questioned myself.

It was ludicrous of me to even be holding a grudge when it was barely an issue. So what? A person's allowed to not want to take part in sexual intercourse—that includes Nathan. Everyone has their moods, it was my mistake in the first place, letting my emotions get in the way of understanding what actually happened.

It took every ounce of guilt, hope and strength—yes, three very different things— for me to get out of the car and walk up to their front door. I raise my hand to knock when the door flies open, thankfully, a bleach blonde teenager in front of me; Jess.

"Please don't tell me–" I start.

"Oh, we saw you," she laughs, "we figured we'd let you come inside when you were ready," she smiles an understanding smile and for that, I am eternally grateful.

I enter the house to the smell of vanilla. Karen always did manage to keep this place in tip top condition. Even when it came to their scented candles.

"So, Nathan?" I ask, looking around.

"He had to 'run some errands' but he'll be back soon," she says, "you know this is home," she smiles yet again before returning to the position she was in before I entered, I'm assuming; cuddled up under abundance of blankets, having a Vampire Diaries marathon. The thought of her not changing one bit made me warm inside.

I decide to go up to Nathan's room and wait there instead of standing in the living room like an awkward goose. I mean, his room is where I've spent most of my time in this house; or just in Gloucester, honestly.