xxxxi. irl

i w i l l f o l l o w y o u i n t o t h e
d a r k

indie

"Daniel?" I whimper out. No answer.

Everything around me was dark. It felt like I was walking through water puddles.

"Daniel!" I call again as I start running.

Then there he was. In the midst of the darkness, he stood silent. He wasn't facing me, but I knew it was him. I touch his shoulder and he whips around to face me. I gasp and back up.

Hi face was angry. Dark and angry.

I stumble back in the darkness. It was just him in I there and the puddles on the ground splashed as I backed up. My voice echoed in my ears as I stared at my best friend. His never-leaving smile was gone. His face was pale and stone cold. Almost dead looking...

"Daniel?" I hesitantly call again, this time watching him closely.

His hand raises up in the air and he runs towards me. I scream as he grabs my arms and holds them in the air, lifting my feet off the ground. His nails dig into my skin and blood drips down my arm as I cry and kick in the air.

He stares at me with black eyes and a menacing smirk. Tears sting my eyes as I beg him to let go.

"No one loved you," he spits in my face with anger. "You are never grateful, you're greedy, useless, and a waste of space. Leave me alone."

This couldn't be real. This wasn't my Daniel.

But the pain; it felt so real.

"Daniel..." I whisper and stop kick once the blood drips down my neck. The cold liquid tickles my skin and send goosebumps everywhere.

"Leave me alone!" He screams in my face again. "Leave me alone!"

He keeps repeating that as I yell out his name.

"Indigo!" He yells, "I'm right here!"

••

My eyes fly open to meet Daniel's bright blue ones. He was above me, holding my shaking and sweaty arms down. His face was back to its normal colour and wasn't dead or angry looking, he just looked worried.

He pulls me up and wraps me in his arms as I sit up between his legs. I touch my sticky cheek before wrapping my arms and legs around his torso.

"You worried me," he whispers as he slowly brushes his fingers through my hair. "You kept calling my name and screaming. I didn't know what to do."

He pulls my head away from his chest and grabs the sides of my head gently. He stares at me as if trying to read me.

"What happened?"

I look away, embarrassed at the fact that put him in so much stress over a stupid nightmare. But he cared; for me.

So I tell him everything. Every detail of my nightmare. From how real it felt to how dead he looked. He never interrupted me an instead just listened.

When I was done, he pulls me back to his chest and rubs my back. His fingers tangle back in m hair as I silently cry.

"Nothing and no one will hurt you," he whispers into my ear. "I promise."

I glance up at him.

"Define promise." I challenge quietly as we stare at each other with content. My eyes are still glossy and his figure is blurred.

"A promise is something unbreakable. Something two people keep between each other and hold on tight and claim their little secret. It's theirs to hold onto and not drop."

I smile at him then snuggle closer into his chest. His big hands traces circles on my arm as I listen to him describe what we have.

A secret; a promise.

"I promise."

••

"Never meet him alone, again," Corbyn warns me before pulling me in for a hug. "God, I don't know what I would've done if he had gotten you."

I smile before getting pulled from Corbyns arms into Zachs.

"Dad, you can't scare me like that!" He exclaims, picking her up and swing around with her hanging in his arms. I laugh and kiss his pink cheeks.

"I'm sorry son," I tell him before walking with him into the backyard where Jack was skateboarding. "But I need to talk to you and Jack."

He squints his eyes at me but follows either way. Jack notices us as makes his way over.

I look at the two of them nervously.

"I don't how to explain this." I say and fiddle with the ring on my finger out of habit.

Jack lays a hand on my shoulder to calm me then sends me a reassuring smile. I nod and look at the ground as they wait patiently.

"I think I'm in love."

They look confused, so I elaborate.

"I think I'm in love with Daniel Seavey."