9| Vending Machine

M I A

M I A

"What the hell was that?!" Julia and I jumped out of surprise when we heard something loud bang on my wall from the dorm next door.

For a moment I thought it broke into my room.

"I have no idea," I replied with slight fear, feeling my heart pound.

"Let's go check it out," Julia suggested as she sits up on my bed.

Before she can move from the bed, I quickly caught her ankle. "No way! I don't want to die tonight."

She looked at me weirdly and glanced at my hand, which made me lose my grip.

"You're not going to die." she rolled her eyes. "We're just going to knock on your neighbour's door, ask if anything is okay. And if we're lucky, a cute guy would answer."

"Exactly! Who can be up at midnight?"

"Who can be asleep at midnight?" she corrected me while I look at her confused. "Maybe they're injured or something."

"Well, I'm not risking it." I folded my arms stubbornly.

She looked at me for a moment trying to check if I'm serious. Once she got her answer, she huffed before she laid back on the bed. "You're no fun!"

At that, I smiled in victory before I went back to painting my toenails red, matching my fingernails of course.

Julia came by after dinner, claiming that she was bored, and brought a few things with her so we could hang out.

Even though we hang at dinner, I quickly accepted her company because one, I was bored too. And two, it was a great way to improve our friendship.

And so, the next thing I knew, it was midnight.

"Hey, aren't you supposed to be in your dorm?" I glanced up at her with raised eyebrows.

Her mouth opened in disbelief. "Are you kicking me out?"

"No! Of course not." I shook my head. "It's just Mrs Andrea said that if anyone was caught outside their dorm after curfew, consequences will be mean. And she meant it."

She scoffed. "You really believe anyone follows her rules?" she asked as I shrugged.

"Well, I'll tell you what, newbie." she rolled over on her stomach and smirked at me. "We don't."

"Rule number one of being a delinquent, we don't do rules. I thought you are one!"

I waved her off. "Yeah, I am. It was just a thought."