28 • Tidal Wave

Start from the beginning

     One second they were standing in the centre of Bond Beach, and the next, they were dragged by the current of the crowd towards the District. The flock there was even more massive, if that was even possible. Clubs and bars kept their neon lights on, flashing across the avenue like a parade of disco lights. While the beach was filled with fire and passion, the streets were wild and flamboyant.

     The whole town was on lockdown.

    "This is actually insane!" Jeff yelled, sounding nervous.

     El noticed. "It's fine! You have us to protect you, young grasshopper!"

    "Let loose, Jones!" Daisy shouted.

    "Have a martini!" Zach let out.

     Theo plucked the drink off of his hands before it spilled over his friend's shirt.

     At the end of the District, a stage was set up where musicians poured their souls out with the banging of their bongo drums, the strings of their guitars. Thank God for his height, because he could easily see the view amidst the hundreds around him.

     But he looked down to El, who was trying to tip-toe her way through. As adorable as she looked, his smile wavered.

    "Can you see?!" he shouted in her ear.

    "Yeah," she yelled back, then hesitated. "I mean, enough, I guess!"

     He frowned. The view was amazing; he wanted her to see what he saw, to make sure she felt just as breathless as he was. Then, the next words were flying out of his mouth:

    "Do you want to get on my shoulders?"

     Immediately he wanted to slap himself in the face. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Did he actually say that to her? Was he losing his mind?

    "Uh... I mean, if you want to. If you're, um, comfortable."

     El bit her lip.

     The four of them silently knew that Travis wasn't going to come when they saw El walking up to Anchor's alone. He should've felt like a victor, but he didn't. Not when he saw that it took a toll on her, in the way her eyes dimmed or that breathtaking smile faltered. And he hated Travis more for it, for causing her pain by his absence.

     He wanted to make up for it.

     Daisy sensed the two's hesitation, and paused momentarily on her freestyle dancing. When El filled her in about what he proposed, the blonde just took one look at her.

    "Just get on his fucking shoulders, McKinney."

     And then Eleanor McKinney was on his shoulders.

     Her skin burned under his fingertips. Her sundress was short enough that his hands held her thighs in order to secure her. Theo's own cheeks burned, but another sensation was roaring up inside of him, a voice that said, more, more, more.

     Did she feel it, too? Did she hear his heartbeat pounding like the beat of the drums? Did she feel what touching her was doing to him?

     He wasn't so sure. She was already cheering on the top of her lungs, her voice almost lost in the crowd. But Theo could still hear it — it was a sound he'd never forget. That laugh, one of breathless joy and pure happiness. Knowing he helped her get there made his chest burst with euphoria.

     And he saw the most beautiful view: El's giant smile, now for the world to see. The world should drop their knees for that smile.

     Because Theo knew he would.