Bed of Lies

Thanks for reading and adding it to your reading list! As this is a rough draft, please feel free to give feedback on how you think it could be better!

Author's note: If you've read this far, I apologize in advance.

____________________________

"Uncle, we need to talk."

Tomas had dialed his uncle's direct office line from memory. He was through with waiting around for nothing when he could do something immediately to alleviate their situation. As far as he knew, the Russian was in chains, but the rest of the defectors probably were out there without guidance and Tomas did not want to leave anything to chance.

What happened today would never happen again if he could help it.

"What is it, nephew? I'm a bit busy at the moment.", The Master briskly answered, annoyed his relative was taking time out of his day. After all, his limo would come to retrieve him in a few minutes for yet another hearing.

"My wife just got shot by a former employee of yours. Give me one good reason to not lay the incident at your feet and blame you.", Tomas shouted into the phone.

"Now, wait there a minute, Tomas. I'm in the middle of trial right now, ok? Things on my end..."

Tomas interrupted and said, "Things on your end? That Russian was aiming for me, you greed-obsessed criminal."

"Businessman. Come on, I'm a businessman, you know that."

"Is it true that you fired the men that stole from you?"

"I did more than that.", Uncle Bern replied.

"Well, they broke into my house, took my wife hostage and almost killed me this very night."

"What am I supposed to do about it?", Uncle Bern responded back.

"Do you even care that I was at risk of getting injured? You're so preoccupied with the pursuit of money that you can't even respond with 'Oh, by the way I'm so sorry. I hope your wife feels better soon.'"

"You haven't told me she died so...", Uncle Bern instantly regretted the words that came out of his mouth.

"Those men are still out there! Their leader is currently in the same hospital, swearing revenge and his goons are probably planning revenge or an escape as the cops are looking for them."

"Talk to the police. They'll take care of it. Are we done here?"

"What is so important that you can't take one second and listen to me? You're a hypocrite. I have to 'take care' of your problems and yet you won't help me out when I need it!"

"I need to go to my trial hearing so spit out what you want to say."

"I'll get right to the point then. You are the reason that I am calling from this hospital and if you don't do anything, I'll testify on the behalf of the state to put you away for good."

Uncle Bern suddenly turned in his chair and spoke softly, "Are you making threats? Do you really want to blackmail me?"

"No, but as family is not that important to you, I will do what is necessary to survive."

The Master grinned and said, "That's the apprentice I know and love. What's your gameplan?"

Tomas stuttered, "My....my....my....game...plan?"

"Plan of action? You called me, remember?"

Tomas wondered if maybe this wasn't such a good idea. His distant relative was the Godfather of his life and he didn't like dealing with him on most days.

However, today was different and Tomas felt compelled to continue this conversation until it's very end. For Aila, he would sacrifice any hardship if he could.

"You asked me for a favor, remember that?", Tomas was sweating at the other end, hoping his bluff would work.

"I gave you an internship when everyone turned you down. What more can I offer you to make you satisfied?"

"You provided me with a mission and I completed it. You're at fault here for letting them go off easily."

"Easily! Do you think it's been easy? The Lombardi brothers have been on the case to find the spies from Great Britain who infiltrated my organization and the FBI have been watching my every move at the company."

"A wanted man, you don't say?"

"Don't be snarky with me, boy."

"I'm not a child anymore, Uncle Bern. I haven't been for quite a while."

"Congrats. Want a birthday party then?"

"Am I detecting fear from The Master? Is the great Uncle Bern afraid of getting caught?"

The sound of a door opening reached Tomas's ears, and a woman's voice called out,

"Mr. Bern, your car has finally arrived. It's waiting for you in the garage."

"I'll be right over, sweetheart.", The Master answered back to her.

"Do we have a deal or what?", Tomas whispered once the door closed.

"I'll keep you and your wife safe. Don't worry your little head about it."

"When can you send protection?"

"As soon as I get off this call, I will."

Tomas was about to hang up when he heard The Master's words, "You're getting it. Soon one day you'll hold your own with men like me."

"I never want to be a man like you.", Tomas commented.

"Men like me aren't born, they're made."

Stepping away from the phone, Tomas sighed and massaged his forehead.

His uncle brought out the very worst in him. If Aila hadn't been in his life, he could only imagine how things would have turned out.

Sensing a tap on his shoulder, Tomas looked towards his left and saw the doctor from earlier.

"I need to speak with you."

"Of course," Tomas replied.

"Is there any relatives here with you? Would you like to have them here with you?"

"My brother's in my wife's hospital room. No, and what's going on?"

"You might want to sit down for this."

Tomas then sat down on a bench and waited.

"I have good news and bad news. Good news is that your child is alright and staying in neonatal. He'll sleep overnight and we'll monitor for changes, so far it seems as he was not impaired by the gunshot."

"What's the bad news?"

"The caesarean was a success, however, there were fragments of the bullet that were not found until the baby was born and she flat-lined from the blood loss. We tried..."

Tomas blanked out during the rest of the explanation 'til the words 'she died' were audibly heard.

"What?", he squeaked out.

"I'll send a nurse to fetch your brother. You'll need time to process this."

As the doctor faded from view, two emotions swirled through Tomas's mind and heart in the span of two seconds.

One.

Sorrow.

Two.

Rage.

_______________________

Author's note: Oh no! Tomas don't! He's not listening to me now...

I'm not JK Rowling and do not have horcruxes at all.