Trust You

Thanks for reading and commenting! Enjoy!

Author's note: Should I rename the story My Girlfriend the Spy ? I feel like people don't get Master's Apprentice title until they've read like quite a bit into the story...

____________________________

"Now is this the natural breeze you were referring to?"

"This is amazing, Tomas! You did not have to take me here, but you did so thank you!" She embraced him and Tomas reciprocated the gesture.

"After what happened with our last date, I knew I had to make it up to you."

He added, "It feels good to come out here and breathe the refreshing air, isn't it?"

"Oh, what did you say, Tomas? I'm enjoying just being outside! The sun is shining and I've never been this free in my life!" she teased. Aila was twirling around in circles as she waved her hands around and soaked up the sun.

"Sorry for not being able to do this sooner," he admitted.

Then, Aila stopped in her tracks and headed back to Tomas.

"Tomas, it's not your fault that the universe conspires against our relationship by letting those dreadful exams rain down on us!" She thrust her fist in the air and scowled.

"That bad, huh?"

"Let's not talk about that now! We're having a wonderful hike in the woods," she stuck out her tongue at him and Tomas grinned.

He never thought in a million years that he would have a girlfriend, let alone have a girlfriend who loved the outdoors as much as Aila. Tomas was more of an indoor person, but he would do anything to make Aila smile.

When she smiled, it was like a star beamed on him from above.

God, he was utterly in love. He had tried to fight it; alas love won out. Hopefully, Aila felt the same towards him.

"Summer break is here!" Aila yelled and hopped over a log with ease.

Tomas went around the dead tree and wondered how she could keep up this much energy. He was already tired. Why did he decide to go hiking again?

"Tomas..."

"What?"

"Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"The music of the forest! The birds, the bees, the wind...it feels like an orchestra is playing right next to us," she stated.

"I have always thought that the forest was a solemn, serene place of silence," he said.

"You're wrong! There is so much life in nature and the sounds all complement each other until they reach a crescendo!" She raised her hands as if conducting an orchestra herself.

"Some of the best orchestral pieces have been based around those very same sounds of nature," he recalled.

"Ooo...Have you been reading the classical music history books I sent?" she asked.

"I might have...Classical music has always entranced me. Knowing more about how music started out has actually helped me brush up on my music reading which we will both need for the upcoming concert," he hinted.

"I completely forgot! Thank you Tomas for reminding me! I must practice..." she trailed off before finishing.

"You will be fine, Aila. The choir director has done an excellent job of making us be prepared for it."

"Could we go over our duet piece? I'm a little nervous that I will mess it up."

"We could practice right now."

"That is a fabulous idea, Tomas! I insist!" her eyes burrowed into his and he sighed.

"One time..."

"Thank you! You will not regret this!"

Why do I bother, he thought to himself.

"I'll start...", Aila calmed down and breathed.

"If I loved you,
Time and again I would try to say
All I'd want you to know."

Tomas then continued with his part, singing,
"If I loved you,
Words wouldn't come in an easy way
Round in circles I'd go!"

Aila answered back,
"Longin' to tell you,
But afraid and shy"

Tomas replied,
"I'd let my golden chances pass me by!"

Aila responded,
"Soon you'd leave me,
Off you would go in the mist of day"

They then sang together,
"Never, never to know how I loved you
If I loved you."

While Tomas was singing, he reminisced on the meaning of the lyrics and pondered over if Aila meant what she sang. Was it just a concert piece for her?

"Oh, I love this musical!", she exclaimed.

"Is it your favorite?", Tomas inquired after they had finished and caught their breath.

"YES! My favorite song of all time is 'You're Never Alone'."

Her face fell suddenly. "I sang it at my grandfather's funeral when I was 12. It reminds me that no matter what happens in life, his memory will never be forgotten and none of us are ever alone," she disclosed.

"I am truly sorry Aila."

"What for? My grandpa was always a very happy man. Nothing could get him down. Right before he died, he told us that he was the luckiest man alive and that he would not give up being with us for anything in the world!"

"Then you must have earned your optimism from him."

"That is a sweet thought, Tomas! Thank you!", her tears stopped falling and he wiped them away.

They continued their walk into the woods in silence until Aila abruptly paused before a giant sycamore tree.

"I never thought that I'd have my own Raoul to sing with," she pressed her hands against the tree and seemed to be in deep thought.

"Raoul?", he inquired. How many crushes could this girl possibly have?

"Right, I forgot that you have not seen Phantom of the Opera yet. I saw it last year in London and it blew me away! Raoul is this dreamy guy who can sing...totally like you," She giggled.

"I even heard it's coming to Broadway next year. I bet you can see it then!"

"I would love to see it with you," he mused.

"Tomas, I..." Should I tell him?, she asked herself.

"I trust you completely, Aila."

Aila cringed internally; she had just taken pictures of his work a few weeks ago and he was smiling like she was not the common thief that she was. What use was being a spy if you could not love?

Love? Did she love him? What was Love?

Did he love her back?

__________________

Author's note: For all those who wanted their relationship to blossom, you're welcome!