Hold on Forever

Author's note: Thanks for taking a chance on this story! (Although, I recommend to be wary of spoilers at this point.)

______________________________

Several months later...Thanksgiving 1987

"Tomas, it's so nice to see you after all this time! How have you been, my mockingbird?"

Oma gazed at Tomas with motherly affection as she opened the door for Tomas and Aila to come in.

"Oma!" Tomas immediately reached out and embraced the woman who had raised him into the adult he had become. He thanked God that he could call this wonderful lady family and was grateful for all the support she had ever given him. He only had a few memories of his biological mother and Oma taking his brother and him in as orphans made him cognizant of the great debt he owed her.

He only hoped she liked Aila as well.

"Tomas, you're hugging! Aww...I have been a good influence, haven't I?"

Aila popped behind Tomas's shoulders and joined in on the hug.

"And this must be the woman you're always talking about, Tomas." She seemed pensive before saying, "What did you call her again? Woman of your dreams? My sweet calling bird? Darling bunny? Oh no. It was Goddess from..."

Tomas placed a hand over his Oma's mouth, but the damage was already done.

His brother, coming inside right after Aila, burst into laughter at the sight of his humiliation.

Embarrassed, he let go and stood around awkwardly as all of them struggled to not keep giggling.

"Brother! How have you been? Haven't seen you around in a while.", Alejandro commented.

"I'm good. Perhaps the reason you have not seen me is because, as dear college graduate like you would know, you can only come to campus for alumni events.", he smirked before asking, "How's Chicago been?"

"It's been glorious.", Lauren commented, appearing at his brother's side and glaring at Tomas.

His brother's wife did not forgive easily. Why did he get into her cross-hairs again? Oh, right. His idiocy knew no bounds.

"Nice to see you again, Lauren.", he grinned back.

Aila broke the ice by raising her nose in the air and shouting, "Is that food I smell?"

Before Tomas could even attempt to stop her, she barged straight into the kitchen headed into the dining area.

"There's a scrumptious banquet laid out! Everyone, come and look!"

Oma grabbed Alexander, who had Lauren at his heels and Tomas followed the trio to Aila.

At the table, Opa stood, waiting to cut the turkey and start the Thanksgiving dinner.

"It took everyone long enough.", the grumpy old man grumbled.

Oma cleared her throat and called for everyone to take their places.

Tomas pulled out a chair next to him and motioned for Aila to take a seat.

She plopped down and kept moving around in her seat, obviously excited to be here.

He remembered he had invited her to meet his parents-foster, but they still counted-and she had bounced up and down at the prospect. Clearly, she had still not lost that energy.

Aila was as wound up as the Energizer Bunny, that mascot from the creepy commercials.

Not that she was creepy...Good thing she could not read minds, Tomas thought to himself.

"Tomas, why are is your face red? Is it because of what Oma said?"

He placed his elbow on the table and placed his fingers on his forehead. Why could he not conceal his emotions better? Maybe it would have been better for Tomas to pretend he was a robot...no.

"Alright. Before we eat, let us pray."

They all reached out and held each other's hands as she prayed, "God bless the food which we are to eat today and let us always appreciate the many gifts and blessings you have bestowed on us. Amen."

A chorus of voices rose up at once.

Alexander chided, "I'm getting the turkey leg!" Tomas answered, "As long as I get the stuffing, you can eat the rest of the turkey." "I want turkey!", Aila replied.

They all looked at Lauren as she stated, "As long as I get some corn bread and potato salad, you meat-eaters can gorge yourselves out."

After a couple of minutes of uninterrupted snacking, Alexander swallowed his meal and addressed his brother.

"So Tomas, what have you been up to? I've been working and learning how to live the married life, but I have no idea what you have been doing. Taking classes I presume, but what did you do over the summer?", Alexander inquired.

"Working in my internship mostly. Aila was away in Scotland with her family so I would call her when I could, meaning when I could take a break. It was exhausting. Currently, I'm taking classes and enjoying senior year."

Aila squirmed in her seat. She had only been in Scotland for a month for mandatory combat training. Then she had come back to the States and masqueraded as a temporary night custodian at Tomas's company. It's amazing to think of what cosmetics, a disguise and a fake ID partnered with a gig from a private contracting company does to help infiltrate a building. Sometimes, she would see Tomas late at night slaving away and place his coat jacket over him when he would fall asleep at night. Through the work, she had been able to photocopy evidence and elude security guards. Unfortunately, he could never know about this for his own safety.

Her cover could not be compromised under any circumstances.

"Hmm. Senior year? Tomas, have you ever thought about the future?", Lauren asked.

"Yes.", he answered nervously. "I am in the process of applying to different jobs and..."

"I mean your future with Aila."

Tomas tries to gain control of his thoughts but ends up going back in circles to a new dream he's had as of late. A dream he thought would never come true.

"I thought you and Aila had a thing going on. Isn't it hard for long distance relationships to work?", she taunts.

"That's enough.", Alexander rebuked.

Tomas spoke up.

"The future may be uncertain, but no matter what, Aila and I will stick through it together if that is what you meant."