Gasoline

Author's note: Back to Tomas...

_____________________________________________________

"So Tomas..."

"Yes, brother." Tomas had his legs propped up against a couch, reading the new regulations outlining taxes for this year and had his focus broken when his brother interrupted.

"Well..." Alexander was taking a long time to say his spiel, so Tomas decided he had enough and responded back, "Say it before the sun rises tomorrow if you could, please."

"So... do you have a girlfriend yet, Tomas?"

"And why in God's name would you ask that?" At this question, Tomas finally sat up, alert to his brother actually not joking for the first time in his life.

"You need a date..." Tomas was going to interrupt and ask for what would he need a date, but his brother promptly answered back.

"I'm getting married."

Tomas's eyes widened. "To whom?", he asked.

"To the girl I proposed to, duh", Alexander commented.

"Are you sure? Alejandro, do you know what you're doing? Marriage is a lifelong commitment, and you cannot take it lightly because a girl took your fancy. Is this girl after you because you're graduating soon as a lawyer? You should be careful and watch out for gold diggers, brother. Be rational for once in your life," Tomas replied.

"I love her, Tomas, and she loves me too. We're getting married whether you like it or not."

Alexander added, "Anyway, I was not asking you for your blessing. I already asked her father for that and he gave me permission to ask her hand in marriage."

Tomas's mind had exploded at the thought of his brother settling down after all the promises he'd made to stay single the rest of his life. The thought of his brother finally settling down both excited him and grieved him. It grieved him because Tomas was not sure his brother was doing it for the right reasons and excited him because, well, he had always been a bit of a romantic.

"Brother, have you thought this through? Are you marrying her for the right reasons?" Tomas asked.

"I'm marrying her for the only reason that matters-Love," Alexander responded while twirling around the living room.

"Alejandro...", Tomas was about to speak his mind freely when his older brother interjected,

"For once Tomas, stop being so rational! You act and frankly speak like if you were my father instead of my younger brother!"

"I am your only brother..."

"Exactly my point! This feels like the same conversation I'd be having with Mr. Palmer..."

"Dr. Palmer...", Tomas interrupted, Dr. Palmer was very particular on what people called him, especially his adopted sons. Never in their lives had they been able to forget he was a professor.

What a grouchy old man, Tomas thought.

"Please! You even sound like a miniature version of him! Can I be trusted for once in my life to make a wise decision by myself?"

Silence reigned for a few moments as Tomas deliberated an answer that would not get on his brother's nerves. Alexander liked to make spontaneous decisions without careful, calculated thought. In his profession, that way could lead to a careless mistake.

However, his passion was also why he worked long nights interning at the law office, earned top marks for debates and impressed professors with his insight on how to win a case if the defense lacked the evidence to exonerate the defendant. To win this argument, Tomas would have to play to Alexander's weakness, his overconfidence stemming from his pride that he could take on the world by himself.

"It's not that I'm not happy about your engagement," Tomas realizing he said a double negative paused and waited for his next thought to be grammatically correct before speaking.

"You would have to give up all the partying and certain...other things you do that would upset your fiancée."

Tomas could see Alexander pondering this over and decided to, as some would say, drive his point home.

"Married life is different than when you're dating. You have to think about joint accounts, bills, mortgage, having a baby someday and working through conflicts without tearing each other's heads off. No more can you break up with a girl if she gives you trouble and demands too much. To have and to hold until death do you part is the motto."

His brother had not said a peep, so as Tomas thought he was winning,he uttered his last words on the subject.

"And if you divorce, which in our Lutheran faith, a marriage can only be dissolved by grievous adultery or desertion, then the battle in the courts begins and the estate has to be split. Maybe if she has a good lawyer, she'll end up with almost all of your hard-earned money."

Who's the best persuader now? Tomas sheepishly thought.

"I hear your points, brother."

Tomas waited to hear that he had won and his brother was to be persuaded.

"But, I discussed all that you said with my fiancée. We're going to start taking classes and read books on the subject. Communication will be an integral part of our marriage and we have decided to be mature about this process."

To say that Tomas was shocked is like saying a spider squirms when it is squished.

Was his older brother being sensible... for once in his life?

"I'm being preemptive and signing up for a marriage retreat after we get back from our honeymoon for our 1st year anniversary. The minister at the campus chapel even gave me the number of a good marriage counselor to keep our marriage healthy during rough times."

The last thing Alexander said made Tomas feel guilty about even trying to change his mind.

"Don't worry, Tomas. I won't let you or the family down by embarrassing you all. I've got the knowledge to know that though marriage won't be easy, it will be worth it to wake every morning with Lauren by my side."

Alexander left the room and closed the door on his way out.

Drat, now Tomas had to find a date for the wedding.

_________________________________________________________

Author's note: This chapter kind of adds gasoline to the fire (get it?) and will be relevant later on cuz foreshadowing and irony are great right?  So...no it is not filler because it advances the plot...