Chapter Four

~Jeremy's POV~

I woke up and turned to my side to see Michael awake and texting on his phone, again. He had tears flowing down his face again but he also seemed to be angry while texting.

"Michael?" I rubbed my eyes and he immediately dropped his phone. He also turned around so I couldn't see his face anymore "Michael, I know you're awake"

He stayed facing away from me, not responding. I groaned and sat up, stretching my arms. I scooted closer to him and turned him over so that he was on his back. As soon as I did, he roared at me and I chuckled. There were no more tears, just tear dried up tear path going down from his eyes.

"Damn it. I was going to scare you Jer!" He chuckled and reached for his pocket, looking at his phone. "It's only 6:00, we still have 30 minutes.Why'd you wake up?" He grabbed his glasses and put them on.

"Not sure, the real question is, why are you awake?" He turned off his phone and sat up slowly, yawning.

"I told you, I was going to scare you!" I knew he was lying, he kept so many secrets and he never told me anything.

"Oh right, because scaring was super successful" I had a straight on and he started bursting out in laughter, causing me to laugh as well. After a minute or so, we stood up and we rolled up the sleeping bag. We talked about random stuff while getting ready for school. He grabbed his sweater and one my jeans, walking into the bathroom.

"Imma change now!" He called out and closed the door and locked it.

"Alright!" I called back and went to go clothes of my own. I came back with a striped t-shirt and jeans on. I grabbed my sweater on the floor and put it on. Then I heard a buzz come from a phone. I walked over to the side table and checked my phone. I checked and there were no notifications as another buzz was heard. I walked over to Michael's phone and saw that his phone was buzzing. I wasn't sure if I should go on his phone, it's private, but then I'll be able to help him out with whatever he's going through.

I turned it on and typed in his password, we both know each other's passwords. It opened up and I saw that he was texting his dad in the morning. I scrolled up and saw that he never slept, he was up all night texting. I started to read his messages.

Dad: Where are you?

Michael: I'm at Jeremy's house, why?

Dad: What'd I say about hanging out with him?

Michael: Well, where else was I supposed to go?!

Dad: I'm not sure, but I told you many times not to hang out with him! He has a girlfriend, give up on him.

I was extremely confused, what did his dad mean by give up on me? Why didn't he want Michael hanging out with me? Why couldn't he go to his own house? My head filled with questions as I suddenly heard the door lock unlocking and I turned off his phone. I threw it aside as Michael walked out of the bathroom, changed and everything.

"You ready?" Michael asked as he grabbed his phone and shoved it in his pocket as I did the the same.

"We still have 10 minutes, you wanna leave early?" He suddenly took out his phone, I'm guessing it buzzed again. He checked it and I saw sadness fill his eyes.

"Ya, sure, I need to stop by my house anyways" He turned his phone off and put it back in his pocket, giving me a smile.
He started to walk up the stairs and I followed after him. We walked into the kitchen and I saw my dad.

"Hey Dad" I smiled at him and he ruffled my hair.

"Hey son. Hey Michael" He poured some coffee, took his mug and sat down on the couch. "You guys are leaving early?"

I grabbed some of the frozen waffles from fridge and open the package. "Yup" Michael replied for me, smiling at my dad.

"Alright, I'll see you kids later" I took the frozen waffles from the package and warmed them up. I took one and handed it to Michael, but he didn't take it and shook his head.

"I'm fine, not hungry, thanks though" He put his hands in his pockets and smiled at me.

"More waffles for me then!" I shrugged and took a bite out of the waffle. I went to go pick up and so did Michael. We got our backpacks and I opened the door. "I'll see you later Dad!" I called and he replied

"Bye Jeremy!" I smiled and walked out the door, Michael following behind me, looking sadder than normal and yawning.

"You ok dude?" I asked him as I closed the door behind us. He smiled at me and nodded. "So, how long were you awake?" I already knew the answer, it was pretty obvious he hadn't slept with the dark bags under his eyes.

"About a hour, not that long" He said and I mentally sighed, he tried to keep so many secrets. I was his best friend, what can't he tell me?

We kept walking, bringing up random questions occasionally. We finally neared Michael's house and I saw Michael's eyes fill with dread. He stopped in front of his house and turned to it, staring at it for a bit before turning back around me, a smile plastered on his face.

"Alright, I got to go do something. You can keep walking, it might be a while" He smiled and turned back around, walking slowly to the door. He opened it and slipped inside, flashing me a smile one last time. Luckily, he had windows. I slowly crept in his yard and looked through the window. I didn't see anything in the room until I saw the door burst open.

I saw Michael backing up from his dad, who looked like he was screaming at him. I wasn't able to make out the dialog, but Michael looked terrified. Tears flowed down his cheeks like a waterfall as he continued to scream. Micheal looked like he screamed something back at him and then everything stopped, except Michael's tears. Suddenly, his dad slapped him and he fell back in fear. He looked like he growled something at him and then walked away, leaving a terrified Michael all alone. He curled up in a ball and sobbed and sobbed.

I felt terrible, I had never picked up on this. He never wanted to head home in the afternoons only on certain occasions and he never talked about his dad, but when he did, he would say something about him then just laugh it off. I ducked down from the window and ran my hand through my hair, thinking of what to do. I couldn't tell him I watched him, I would have to text him to see if anything was wrong.

I grabbed my phone and went to text Michael

Player 2: Hey, you alright?

I stood up again and peeked through the window to see if he would check his phone, and he did, still sobbing.

Player 1: Yup! Just grabbing some homework!

I sighed, he wouldn't tell me what happened if I didn't talk to him. He would stay over again tonight and I would talk to him about this.

Player 2: Alright, see you at school!

I see him put his phone away and stand up, wiping his tears away with his sleeves. I start to run away from his house, so it a least seemed like I was walking.

Why did he have to keep so many secrets?