DON'T NO 7: Poor Character Representation

Start from the beginning

People portray all the far east characters as one personality.

The females are usually dragon ladies or make up girls while the males are techies, geeks, nerds and all that kind of stuff.

Moreover, authors think (read: believe) that everyone from China/Japan would be a Samurai/Martial Arts combatant (Bruce Lee 2.0 in short).

And they also have his conception that everyone from Korea would be a make up obsessed teen working wonders with foundation and mascara.

Well the truth is... No.

There are a lot of people from China/Japan/Korea who aren't martial nor make up artists.

There are a lot of people in these countries who do not have a passion for technology.

They do not look exactly the same and they are NOT EXACTLY THE SAME.

[Speaking from personal experience: I have met a lot of Japanese people on an educational trip to Japan and let me tell you, they are all really different from one another. Also, Japan is a beautiful country with equally beautiful people and if there's one place you should visit for vacations, it should be Japan].

5. Asian Representation (South Asia):

Now this is the most conflicted of representations as far as I know. There are about 8 countries in this region and each is entirely different from the other. Just because Shruti and Sania look somewhat alike, doesn't mean that they will be alike in nature too.

The main countries people use when writing (which is quite rare) are India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Maldives.

Honestly, these aren't the only countries to choose from.

Take Sri Lanka for example. The people there are beautiful and their culture is rich and unique but in fiction they literally don't have a say in the matter.

Then comes the IndoPak region.

Not all Pakistanis are terrorists or mafia people associated with terrorist groups or something.

Not all of them are ammunition suppliers.

Stop portraying them as the villains in stories.

Pakistanis are not a backward nation who have no idea to stand up for their rights.

And just because it is a Nuclear State doesn't mean it will wage war on the world tomorrow.

Also, not all Indians are racist.

Not all of them are extremely religion abiding.

Not all of them are vegans.

Indians are educated people who know about technology and aren't as backward as it is made out to be.

Same goes for every other country in this region.

SOUTH ASIANS ARE NOT TERRORISTS. STOP CATEGORIZING THEM AS SUCH.

[I guess this one got a little bit too personal and emotionally wrecking for me to write. Also, I know this isn't exactly HP fanfiction related but... It's good to have a general outlook once in a while].

6. African Americans:

There's a lot of misconception when it comes to African Americans.

I mean why don't we all get practical and accept that they are humans too?

There are quite a rare and specific number of roles singled out for these characters.

True, the author would state that we depicted him/her in a positive way as a witty, sassy, headstrong person who knows how to get his/her way and blah blah blah.

Then there is the stereotype known as the Magical Negro. In this stereotype the African American is some magic associated man/woman who works for the benefit of others literally keeping nothing for themselves.

Or the other Stereotype used is the POC best friend. This one best friend, usually an African American, merely exists in the books to help the protagonist in order to survive. And the protagonist is a white female, nearly always.

The best friend takes all his/her hits and blows, is portrayed as the epitome of loyalty and such and yet can not do anything against the will of her white best friend.

I know this sisn't a book related to TVD fandom, but I'm giving an example from the Vampire Diaries TV Shows here. Take Bonnie Bennett as an example. Portrayed by Kat Graham, Bonnie is a character many people relate to and admire but has anyone really thought deeply into the whole foundation of this character?

Take a look at the above stereotypes and you will understand that Bonnie Bennett is based off both the Magical Negro and Best friend stereotype.

She is Elena's witch friend who helps her out of any crises she's thrown into and does not retaliate to Elena even when she's being crappy to her just because, don't you see, she's such a good friend!

***

The above stereotypes and representations I used as an example, are according to what is shown on TV and movies. Since I don't have a lot of time to indulge in extensive reading these days to elaborate this chapter with literary examples. But I'm sure a lot of our friends will definitely elaborate it in the comments.

If you're writing a fanfic with a POC character in it, base him/her off very carefully and mold the character just like you do so with other characters.

And like I discussed earlier, give your characters contrasting tastes.

You can have an Arab character who sings and is extremely fond of music.

You can have a Latina woman who is a virgin, who is a lot reserved, reads books and does not really enjoy people's company.

You can have a Far Eastern character who is not too fond of makeup/martial arts.

You can do a lot of things to your characters. And it's totally up to you to decide how to best represent them. Cross question your friends, observe the people around you, read up on helpful blogs at the internet. You will realize that basing your characters off real people is not only interesting but also rewarding.

***

Enough of the rambling for now. I've noticed that I tend to get pretty emotional when writing on topics as these.

Anyhow, I hope this chapter helped.

See you soon with the next update.