DON'T NO 17: Drama Everywhere

Literally... Everywhere.

The one thing which can make your story seem out of control and lacking intensity is too much drama.

Of course, writers want to add suspense and create a thrilling sensation for their readers by inserting dramatic scenes here and there. But let me give you a tip.

Drama is like a seasoning flavor or spice in other words. If you add too much spice in your food it becomes difficult for you to eat it. Similarly if you add to much drama, it spoils the story. It is necessary of course but just in considerable amount.

There are many type of drama scenes but the most common of these scenes are:

1. Boy likes girl, girl likes boy. Enters ex girlfriend/boyfriend who is batshit crazy and will do anything for revenge. And obviously, the biggest drama follows suit.

2. Wedding scene. Bride and groom at the altar and are about to kiss when suddenly either bride or groom changes their mind and runs away.

3. Wedding scene. Bride/Groom do not turn up at all. Usually hide away in a club or a forest.

4. Wedding Scene. Groom discovers he loves the bridesmaid and confesses in front of everyone.

5. Hero kills the antagonist. And then finds out they were siblings separated at birth.

6. The Little Mermaid crises. Hero/heroine wants badly to accomplish a task and they seek help from someone and from then on it goes quite similar to this:

"You will have legs, darling, you will be able to walk the Earth. But there is a price to pay. Your voice will belong to me! You have to make the Prince fall in love with you in a month and if you fail then you will die!"

 Your voice will belong to me! You have to make the Prince fall in love with you in a month and if you fail then you will die!"

Dun dun dun... What a climax.

7. Boy and girl dance together at a masquerade and fall in love. Later on they discover they belong to families that are each other's enemies.

Classical Romeo Juliet.

8. The Prince falls in love with Cinderella but gets married to the stepsister.

***

And if we are talking specifically about HP stories then, the list is just as long with a few minute changes.

The thing is that drama should be added as a spice not just loaded in fully. Include a few of these scenes such as plot twists but do not make them too many.

Too much drama in a story makes it quite unrealistic and after a while your readers will get bored. It not only delays the ending but can also create deviation which we discussed in detail in the previous chapter.

***

And that's all I have to say in this chapter.

Remember, you will not want readers to choke on your story like people choke on soup with too many hot chilies and black pepper so you shouldn't add too much drama to your fanfiction.

Have a lovely day (or night, depending on which time zone you're in).