REVIEW NO 22

The book we are going to review today is The Rat's Gift by katib94

Now first these are the basics.

Book Name: The Rat's Gift

Author's account name: katib94

Main Characters: and a few others.

Description:

Not all people are brave. Not all people have the capacity to defy powers greater themselves. These people may be called weak and in some cases, they may even be called cowards. When presented with a choice, they usually choose the wrong option and that will always have them looking behind their backs.

However, sometimes, these people are offered a second chance to redeem themselves.

Peter Pettigrew is one such person whose choice triggered a chain of events that destroyed the lives of many. Upon his death, he is presented with a choice. A choice to redeem himself.

Will he choose the same path as he chose then? Or will he prove to the world that sometimes, even cowards can be brave.

A short story set in the Harry Potter Universe.

Chapter Count: 12 and Completed.

***

Now let's get on with the review!

***

1. The Title:

The title is extremely simple but of course it makes sense with the theme of the story.

2. The Cover:

The cover is extremely simple and I would suggest the author to improve it. The image used is fine but pay a little attention to the cropping and the font style.

3. Concept:

The story is based on Peter Pettigrew and focuses on his redemption which I think is a great idea. Most people refrain from writing about Peter and I'm glad to see that this fanfic is about Peter.

4. Review (includes Summary too):

The story begins from the scene after Peter's death. Peter wakes up in what seems like the afterlife at first. The guilt and sorrow Peter feels for betraying his friends is portrayed accurately and the fact that he had been fleeing death all along for which he even sacrificed his friendship comes to haunt him because he is dead after all he did.

The fanfic is dotted with beautifully thought out memories that give a clear insight not only into the Marauder's friendship but also on the reason why Pete felt so left out.

What I think:

It was great reading a fanfic about Peter Pettigrew and I appreciate that the author has shown both sides of the picture. Peter is not portrayed as a one dimensional person instead the readers can clearly see the turmoil he goes through. The writing style is captivating and the flashbacks and memories make the story even more interesting to read.

***

If you are looking for a fanfic on what went through Peter's mind that made him join the Death Eaters and also on his redemption, then this is the book for you.

***

katib94 First and foremost, I applaud you for choosing Peter Pettigrew as the main character. Not only have you characterized every person amazingly but you have also put a lot of thought into each memory and each dialogue which is clearly fantastic. The fanfic has such a clear sense of nostalgia and lives up to its theme beautifully. And you have explained everything in a wonderful and easy manner. I really hope you win the Wattys this year because you deserve it.