Chapter 46

"Slow down, Reena. Mamamatay tayo sa ginagawa mo eh." sita sa akin ni Jean. She's in my passenger's seat. And yes, binibilisan ko yung takbo ko dahil naka-idlip ako at late na ako nagising. We have barely an hour to get to the venue of the fashion show today. I haven't even rehearsed yet. What's worse is, I'll be opening the prod tonight.

"Ugghh! I am so late!" nakaka-frustrate!

My phone rang and my kuya's caller ID appeared. I glanced at Jean to answer it for me.

Kinuha niya yun sa phone holder ko sa kotse at sinagot.

"Reena's phone. Hello?" sagot niya. She can be informal naman you know but I think she's just used to being formal.

Pinakinggan niya yung sinabi sa kabilang line, "Yes sir, I understand. I'll let her know." she fluently answered and hung up the phone.

"What did he say?" tanong ko nang hindi tumitingin sa kanya but she didn't answer me instead she made another phone call.

"Sandra? Yes, Reena can't make it. There has been an emergency." sabi niya at nagulat akong tumingin sa kanya.

"What the hell are you saying?" pabulong kong sabi.

"Her mother has suffered a mild stroke." she explained while looking at me intently and I didn't intend to hit a hard brake when we're on the middle of a freeway! At dahil doon bumusina ng pagka lakas lakas yung mga sasakyang nakasunod sa amin.

I looked at her with an unbelievable face. You can clearly see my vulnerability right now. I didn't say anything to her, made a U-turn and just drove back to my apartment. Kausap pa rin ni Jean si Sandra pero wala akong maintindihan sa pinag-uusapan nila. I can't seem to fathom the fact that my mom just suffered from a mild stroke. And they need me there now. I got to  go home now.

I didn't waste any more time. I packed my things and went to the airport. Jean stayed behind to fix my foregoing sched. At susunod na lang siya as soon as possible but most probably it would be with the schedule as planned.

I boarded, the plane took off and it was the longest flight of my life. All I could ever think of was my mom. I told kuya I'd be going home before I left New York and he told me he would be picking me up.

True to his words, when I landed and finally got through the immigration and got my baggage, he was there when I got out.

I ran to his arms and I can't help but cry. I have been holding it since I boarded.

"Sshh, it's okay. She's stable now. She's waiting for you at the hospital." sabi sakin ni kuya habang nakayakap pa rin ako sa kanya.

"Kuya, I'm so sorry that I wasn't there.." I feel so guilty.

"It's okay. It's not your fault. Let's go, mom's waiting for you." He got my baggage from me at tumulak na kami deretso ng ospital.

My hands were shaking at medyo luhaan pa rin ako. Hindi ko alam kung bakit, eh ang sabi naman ni kuya okay na si mommy. I just can't help it.

We rode the elevator to 15th floor, got off and went straight to mom's room.

When I opened the door, siya lang at si Tito Ted and nandoon.

"Hey, Ree." salubong sa akin ni tito saka niya ako niyakap.

"Hi, tito. How are you?"

"I'm good." he slightly smiled and released me so I could say hi mom.

Nung balingan ko siya, nakatingin lang siya sa akin na halos mangiyak ngiyak siya. Inaabot niya yung kamay niya sa akin kaya dali dali ko namang inabot at di ko na napigilang umiyak.