Chapter 50

REENA

Our flight from Shanghai to Dubai was long but I couldn't have felt more home and free. I felt like finally I have so much more room to breathe in without feeling guilty and broken at the same time. I can't seem to lie to myself and instill in my mind that some things; even though I want them back can never find their way home to me anymore. He made sure I understood his words and his feelings towards me.. full of hatred and I think I even saw a glimpse of regret in his eyes wishing he shouldn't have met me.

I on the other hand, can't bring myself to regret all of the memories that he engraved in my heart; the good and the bad altogether.. those memories kept me breathing but unfortunately, for him those memories made him want me buried and kept away from him.

And even though what I did made him hate me deep to his bones, I can't bring myself to regret my decisions. How can I bring myself to regret it when even in those longing years, I was still happy because I pursued the thing that I was passionate about? And in return, he became the man his dad and him could ever be proud of.. the man who always strived for excellence and the man who never settled for anything less of what he was expected of. I am so damn proud of him.

And I know, he never meant to hurt me.. he was promised to someone else and a part of me believes that if I didn't leave like that, he would've said no and stayed with me. At least, that's what I led myself to believe every time my mind filled itself with regrets. But I can't get those years back, and even if I could.. I would still have made the same decision but I would've left him with a goodbye and reason. 

Before I dive myself into regrets and suffering, the captain announced a few minutes before we land as I pushed away my thoughts and prepared myself to do my job in the shoot; do what I do best and kick ass.

A car was waiting for us when we got out of the airport and drove us to the hotel.

"Did you book adjacent rooms for us?" tanong ko kay Jean.

"Of course; I know better than to let you cure your hangover all by yourself." she answered that made laugh.

"Touche." I smiled, "maybe I should change habits."

"Well, if you could be that kind and make my job easier for me." she shrugged still a smile on her face but I know that deep inside that smile is a pity for me too.

Ignoring that feeling and lifting the spirits up, I answered "where's the fun in that?" as she shook her head in amusement.

KEVIN

"Congratulations son. You've been winning this award for three years now." my father said proudly as he was pouring scotch on three glasses. 

"All thanks to me." Carlo smiled and shrugged.

"You should be the one to claim the award then." I answered back as my father gave us each a glass.

"To the both of you." he raised his glass for toast as Carlo and I both do the same.

I drank the full glass and poured another.

Si Caloy ang laging umaalalay sa mga projects na hawak ko all because he knows about my temper and cleverness. Pag may kaso sa mga kliyente dahil gusto kong palitan yung plano, he'd be the one to talk them into it. As if I needed their approval, well technically I do but I was never the one to settle for anything less of my abilities as an architect. I wouldn't go through a plan if I'm not satisfied with it. 

My relationship with my dad is not as close as what the media protrudes but better than years ago because despite his mistakes in the past, I can't hold it against him forever. And who am I kidding? My mom is happy with her life in Cebu, living her single life everyday. It can't compare to her old self who lived miserably. I knew her intentions of sending me to college under my father's care. She wanted me to know him as my dad and not the man who turned his back on us as if he never cared. And I'd be lying if I say he's not growing on me over the years.