Nightmares

little drabble on the thought of Nico having a nightmare about his favourite boy

set some time after the conclusion of Heroes of Olympus, with them having won the war against Gaia

anyway yeah I've only posted writing online a couple of times before so I would really appreciate feedback!! This isn't my best, I don't think, but it's about time I started posting stuff online often and trying to get feedback, so I'm making myself write things rather than waiting for inspiration haha

so yeah the point of that long ramble was constructive criticism is appreciated!

fandom: Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus

pairing: Leo Valdez/Nico di Angelo

word count: 1,058

Nico had been told about dreams where you try to run as fast as you can but your legs won't move, or your feet stayed stuck to the ground. Or dreams where you were trying to scream and shout at the top of your lungs until your throat burned, but no sound would escape from your throat.

Nico could understand why people found such dreams so horrifying as he stood, eyes wide and shaking, staring into the blank and unseeing eyes of his boyfriend.

'Leo,' he said, voice shaking with fear. His hands rested on Leo's shoulders, shaking the boy in an attempt to wake him up. He was cool to the touch, which was wrong because Leo was heat and warmth and intensity. 'Leo, it's me. Leo? Leo, please answer.'

'Leo?' the boy said, voice empty. His usually bright and deep brown eyes seemed to stare right through Nico. Not like the gaze full of happiness and warmth and affection he usually held when he looked at Nico.

'Leo, it's me,' he said, eyes beginning to feel wet. 'Please.'

'Leo.' The shell repeated.

Nico stepped back, trying to hold back his tears. The place was familiar; the darkness, the dying grass and wilted black trees, and the blank and empty shells of those who had died endlessly wondering around in a state of . It was almost soundless, making you feel like they were all waiting, waiting for something that was never going to happen.

The Fields of Asphodel.

'It's a dream,' he told himself, closing his eyes and trying to calm down. 'No, no, Leo is a hero; Leo would go to Elysium-'

But he quickly looked up when he felt the boy slither from his grasp, beginning to wonder away again into the masses. With that empty look that told Nico he had no idea where he was going, or why. Nico quickly grabbed him again, but he didn't so much as turn around. He just stopped, standing still, staring into space.

It was as though Leo wasn't in there anymore. Leo was wiped upon judgement, and left to wonder the fields for eternity, perpetually confused, empty, gone forever and Nico was all alone again just like when Bianca had gone-

'Don't leave me!' he called out as he felt the hand slip away from his, a loud cry in the near silence of the fields. There was no response, and soon the familiar mess of curly hair and tan skin had disappeared amongst the crowds, and in every direction all he could see were the blank faces of strangers damned forever.

All alone again.

-+-

He sat up with a start, breaths heavy and cheeks wet. A sob threatened to come forward, so he covered his mouth and held his breath as he took in the surroundings.

The familiar surroundings of Cabin Thirteen.

It had all just been a dream, so Nico allowed himself to take a breath, but that didn't stop the water still overflowing from his eyes.

Without hesitation, he rolled over in his bed, wrapping his arms around Leo. Nico thanked every god that Leo had decided to stay over for that night.

'What?' Leo said groggily after a moment, blinking his eyes open, before returning the hug, wrapping his arms around Nico. 'Uh, okay. Hug. Why?'

Nico just hugged tighter for a moment, revelling in the heat that Leo seemed to emanate, and the gentle thumping of his steady heartbeat hammering in his chest. Perfectly alive, happy, with Leo's mind and person intact.

'I had a bad dream,' Nico said, pulling Leo closer and leaning his head on his shoulder. He released a breath of tension as he felt Leo's warm arm wrap tightly around his waist.

'Was it about Tartarus again?' Leo asked, looking worried.

'No.' Nico said flatly. 'It was about you.'

'Well, then, it can't have been that bad, with my stunning looks.' Leo said, trying to get a smile out of his boyfriend. Nico smacked him lightly with annoyance, causing Leo to respond with a 'Hey!' and a pout.

'You were in the Fields of Asphodel,' Nico said. 'You were empty. Like all of them. Just lost and wandering around. I kept saying your name and trying to talk to you but nothing got through. You were just stood there, staring and drifting and barely even breathing. It was horrible, Leo. And then I lost you in all the others there and I couldn't find you. I was alone, and you were gone, and I was so terrified, Leo.'

'I would never let that happen, Nico.' Leo said confidently. He knew when the time for trying to use humour was up, thankfully - at least he did most of the time. Leo continued. 'Aside from the fact that we're both clearly going to Elysium, and if not you have something to discuss with your daddy-'

'Leo,'

'I wouldn't ever forget you or leave you. Okay? I promise. I promise forever. I swear on the River Styx. Pinky swear.' Leo finished, offering his finger with a smile. After a moment, Nico took it, a small smile gracing his features.

'You're an idiot,' Nico said softly, muffling his smile.

'You love it,' Leo said, grinning as he hopped off the bed. 'And, really, if I wasn't an idiot, who would you have to poke fun at?'

'True,' Nico said with a smirk.

'So. Breakfast? I'll join you today. Like a date. A lovely little romantic date, just me and you, my loverboy.' Leo said, winking.

'I don't want to now. You can go alone.' Nico said, leaning back on his bed with a glare, and picked up a book from beneath his pillow, opening it to a random page and beginning to read.

'Aw, come on. You know I was joking. I won't call you loverboy again,' Leo whined. Nico raised an eyebrow. 'Fine. Okay. If you come with me to get breakfast, I'll pay the Stolls to go to the shop and get you some of that gross liquorice stuff you like. Deal?'

'Alright then,' Nico shrugged, feigning indifference, before following Leo out of the Cabin with a smile, twining his and Leo's fingers together.