Promises

Promises [Percico]

-

Question: I'm the Nonnie that asked you if you take prompts so here it is. Could you possibly write a one shot where like Nico is dying and Percy is there and Nico asks Percy to take care of Hazel and protect her and Percy keeps remembering how Bianca asked him the same thing and he's sobbing. (Sorry for the horrible description!) - sent by Anonymous

-

Reply: Nonnie, I don't know why you would want something like this, but I wrote it anyways and now I'm kind of depressed.

--------

"NICO, WATCH OUT!!"

Percy's yell echoes through the hill, but Nico has no time to do anything about it; a sharp pain strikes him right on his back and he is almost sure the pain has something to do with the sword that now is pointing out of his stomach. Fuck!

Everything that happens after that is blurry and confusing. The sword vanishes from his body, but Nico doesn't have the slightest bit of strength to remain still, so he collapses almost immediately to the ground.

He knows his friends are still fighting to defend Camp Half-Blood; he can hear the almost rhythmical sound of metal against metal, but he doesn't see much. He just sees the green from the trees and the red from the blood that spilling out of his open wound. His pale hands find the way to the wound and try to make some pressure, on a useless attempt to make that blood loss to stop, but of course the blood keeps spilling. Oh gods, he is so fucked.

"Nico! Oh my gods, Nico."

Percy.

Nico can barely distinguish the son of Poseidon's face, but his voice is too unique and easily recognizable to the younger boy to confound him with anyone else.

"Stay with me, Nico. Don't give up now."

The despair is so evident on Percy's voice that Nico's heart breaks. He wants to assure Percy that everything's fine, but the bloody wound on his stomach and the puddle of blood around him are proof enough that Nico is far from fine. Breathing is difficult, but he makes an effort to keep it going, at least a bit longer.

"T-take care of Hazel"

The plea leaves Nico's lips with difficulty, along with a gush a blood that almost makes him choke, as he grips Percy's arm with surprising strength.

He is not ready to die, he doesn't want to die, but that's what is going to happen isn't it? Nico can sense it; he can sense death approaching and getting ready to take him away and that's so not fair.

"You're going to live" Percy sobs "I won't need to take c-care o-of Hazel."

Nico knows Percy is lying. Percy himself knows he is lying, but he needs to say it anyways, because he doesn't want to believe that his friend is actually dying on his arms.

Why is that happening again? He has already been on that same situation before. He has already made that same promise before. He doesn't want to go through all that hurt again. He is not even sure if he is over Bianca's death, he can't experience it again with Nico. It's not fair with him. It's not fair!

"Prom-mise me" Nico breaths out in pain "Please."

The lump in his throat is annoying, but Percy forces the words out of him anyways.

"I promise."

Nico smiles at him. That kind of relieved grin that makes Percy's stomach drop and go cold. The tears are already streaming down his cheeks and he can barely contain his own sobs anymore.

"Thank you."

The grip on Percy's arm loses its strength. It's over.